Corrosion on corner bead

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Handytastic

Good afternoon, I need some advice if possible. A customer of mine has bought a reasonably modern house (10 yrs old ish) & has asked me to carry out some decorating & repairs to one of the rooms. It has had a damp problem in the past & a small are of one wall & doorway reveal needs some attention. I have been assured that the damp issue has been resolved & I have confirmed all is now dry. One of the corner beads on the doorway reveal has some signs of corrosion where it has been wet. My query is this: Do I need to remove the entire bead which will turn a small plastering job into a not so small plastering job or is it ok to treat the bead & plaster over? If it is ok to treat it can you recommend a product? Does it even need treating?

Many thanks

Hard to,say without seeing the entire bead. If the plaster has truly dried, sand off the rust, bead over and skim it.

Hmmm... It's not too bad. As I say it does have some corrosion but I wasn't sure if I could rub it down & skim over or whether it would begin to bleed through. Are you suggesting laying another bead over the top?

I look at it like this ,when guys spray an old rusty car ,6 months later it all comes back ,if a job is worth doing do it right ,if your unsure cut it out ,your name your job ,with respect

years ago ,the decorator would put a coat of knotting over angle beads to stop bleed through.

Sorry JamieMac, only just rec'd a notification of your reply... I've not stuck the bead on. It's the original bead which is showing through the damaged plaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.