Correcting an unfinished plastering job

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmhome

We've had people over to do our bathroom and unfortunately they left us with unfinished walls that now need correcting:RpS_crying:

The walls are plasterboard with loads of multi finish slapped on top of it. This is rough (sand paper-like) with holes and cracks in corners, uneven lines/edges between the different walls and also between the ceiling.

Now we have had some people to look around and quote but the quotes are vastly different in terms of price, time (from 0.5 to 3 days) and method used (more multi finish on top/using easifill/sanding/no sanding etc.).

So my question is - what would be the "correct" (or just the the best, given the circumstances) way of fixing this mess, so that we end up with nice straight walls (and straight lines where they join the ceiling) that we can simply paint.

Thanks very much in advance for any advice on this.
Michael

It depends how bad the lines are out.if not bad may beable to just reskim, or bond and skim. 1 day.

If the boards are realy out could be bad workmanship or old joist.
This then may need pulling down and reboarding, packing out etc.

Some pics would help mate, depends how bad it is? Might just need pva. and skim? Or straightend out with bonding then skimmed? ??what happend that your "plasterer " left it in such a mess? Are you intending to tile any of it?

A days work is all it is in my opinion unless they really went to town, what's their names and numbers and location, just incase I hire them by accident

The bathroom might be 20ft x 20 ft on the 4th floor John:RpS_laugh:
Those easi fill mob never get to the fourth floor, I reckon it will take between half a day and three days and could be done in easi fill or multi with sanding done by a floor sander to give grip for the tiles.

Did you pay for the shite work ?.

Fooking bastids....hope they choke in their sleep...hang on the guilty never sleep...oh FFS...some people know no guilt.

I wonder how clare is doing ?....is she happy ?...i hope they rip her off so i can console her properly hahaha.
It's my area , I can travel to north London, just don't want domestic work, all ceilings in all rooms, for 480 , cover down, pva all,the rooms.plaster and clean up. Bit too,tight for my big hands...

It's my area , I can travel to north London, just don't want domestic work, all ceilings in all rooms, for 480 , cover down, pva all,the rooms.plaster and clean up. Bit too,tight for my big hands...

And over artex.

And using secret pva.

Clare better be able to suck a golf ball through a garden hose.

Sorry to hear about the poor quality workmanship a tale that is only all too familar these days. Yes you can fill and sand down but when plastering is as bad as yours sounds the only way to get a good job is to at the very least pva and re skim. if its very very bad then a bond and skim may be required.

Hi all,
Thank you for the responses. Please see the link below for pictures of the walls (the first 5 are genarl shots of the walls and then the rest goes into some of the tasty detail):

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fzbkrbs1lshwxdm/_ZiUalFq_w

These were taken over the last few days i.e. after we spent like a day already trying to sand the stuff down (hoping we can fix it ourselves). After not getting anywhere we decided to get a plasterer in to finish this properly, but the quote differences prompted this thread.

Anyway as you can see a bit from the pictures the rest of the walls is tiled already and as our bathroom is tiny we are talking about a 4 square meter section of the walls that were suppose to be left un-tiled (just simple clean white).
Because the tiles are already on ripping down the plasterboard is unfortunately not an option.

To summarise your responses in terms of options we have 2:
1) PVA and reskim
2) Bonding and reskim
Is there anything else? Or by looking at the pictures is one of them the preferred choice?
I apologise but some of the plastering terms are complete black magic to me, so please try and go easy on me. By bonding you mean another layer of plaster before the finishing one?

(The mess was done by two different bathroom builders, who were suppose to do the bathroom and said that it's fine to leave the section of the walls un-tiled. So these were not plasterers, but they were definitely not the cheapest in terms of bathroom refurbishment.
I gotta say this is a very sad experience for me and my wife cause it's our first own place and now we are completely paranoid about getting anyone in here to do any work...)

Status
Not open for further replies.