Cornice mitres

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gps

I have a job coming up, and the client has picked a rather large cornice the drop is only 190mm but the projection is 340mm, I can't seem to find any mitre boxe that will help with this, any ideas ?? On where to buy or know of anywhere that could make one up. Thanks

I may have to get someone else in to this for me, someone told me today that for this size cornice 190 /345 you do not use a mitre box you just use the depth and projection does that sound right ?

I may have to get someone else in to this for me, someone told me today that for this size cornice 190 /345 you do not use a mitre box you just use the depth and projection does that sound right ?

i done one recently only slightly smaller than your one and I made a mitre box ,even to give it support when cutting as much as anything,I do invariably cut them freehand as well,just eye your saw thru thr mitre.

Try using a batten, fix some timber on the edge then fix some small strips on to the batten at the projection depth. To get your mitre cuts, measure and square off the length and then measure your projection which will give you your mitre cut then just line up your saw between the two marks and away you go. It's not that important with your cuts because you want to leave a gap between the two sections so you can stop it up when fixed.

Forget about the depth, PROJECTION is the only measurement to consider when cutting a mitre on any size cornice. Sit the cornice on your cutting table with the ceiling edge on the table, hold the cornice in projection (raise it to 90 degrees), providing the end of your cornice is square, measure 345mm from the end and put a mark on the front of the member thats touching the saw bench and cut it back into nothing. Just remember for an internal mitre you cut off the ceiling edge and for external mitre you cut off wall edge. Golden rule is always have your ceiling edge on the bench when cutting and always make sure its held or resting in projection whilst cutting.

This is the only way I can explain this, people who fit cornice regularly will know exactly what I mean, sorry if it seems difficult to digest.

Good luck with the job

Forget about the depth, PROJECTION is the only measurement to consider when cutting a mitre on any size cornice. Sit the cornice on your cutting table with the ceiling edge on the table, hold the cornice in projection (raise it to 90 degrees), providing the end of your cornice is square, measure 345mm from the end and put a mark on the front of the member thats touching the saw bench and cut it back into nothing. Just remember for an internal mitre you cut off the ceiling edge and for external mitre you cut off wall edge. Golden rule is always have your ceiling edge on the bench when cutting and always make sure its held or resting in projection whilst cutting.

This is the only way I can explain this, people who fit cornice regularly will know exactly what I mean, sorry if it seems difficult to digest.

Good luck with the job
I can only remember the first word, sounds like you know your stuff, out scienced me by miles

The bit that fits to the wall will be 90 degrees, the bit that fits to the ceiling will be 45 degrees.

Thanks brummietrev, out scienced me too lol, I have drafted in someone who knows what they are doing ( hopefully ). It was to risky for me to attempt it, to much money in the job lose.

Were are you based? Ive been fitting cornice for 10 years, im a fibre hand and not a plasterer so if your not to far im available to help and or do the job for you.
Im in liverpool and willing to travel for work :)

L
Were are you based? Ive been fitting cornice for 10 years, im a fibre hand and not a plasterer so if your not to far im available to help and or do the job for you.
Im in liverpool and willing to travel for work :)

Thanks Mike

It's in Hampstead London, the cornice arrived today and needs to go up tomorrow and Friday, so I'm going to give it my best shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.