Congratulations. . . ..!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NRM2007

1430757850191.jpg
1430758155235.jpg
Congratulations to British Gypsum on managing to turn a decent product into complete and utter shite.
Now i might not have 30 or 40 years behind me on the trowel but i have used enough board finish to know that the stuff that is getting sold lately is utter garbage. These pictures are after trying to give it its first wipe over after laying it in. What an effin nightmare, it just drags and pulls all over the place. All this was on plasterboard, it doesn't really come any easier that skimming board with a product which is supposedly designed for going on board. But not this s**t, its about as much use as a handbrake on a canoe at the moment. I know i won't be using board finish again for a while, might start mixing my own clay with talcum powder or some ert, it can't be any worse than spreading that crap. Rant over

No mate, its shite gear, i've used enough of it to know, it used to trowel up a dream. The bags i used for the guage before were fine. . . .? I do the same thing with them all.

Its tearing and sliding all over the place, look how it has rolled up on my trowel. If it was too wet when trowelling it wouldn't do that. It is all rubbery and chewy. It was even doing it on the first coat when i was flattening it off. So it can't be anything to do with the timings of the coats either. Its crap gear.

No mate, its shite gear, i've used enough of it to know, it used to trowel up a dream. The bags i used for the guage before were fine. . . .? I do the same thing with them all.

Why just blame the gear though ? Other things could be causing the problem such as old boards etc

It wasn't just on boards some of it was a re skim over a stabilizing solution and bonding agent. And the boards were only bought last week. So unless they have been sat in the merchants for an age they were new. I'm not the only one to have mentioned about how s**t this stuff is at the moment. Spoke to a mate of mine today who was on a different job and he's had mither aswell trying to trowel it up. . . . .? What else can it be. 25 plus years in the game, i don't think he's forgotten how to plaster all of a sudden.

It wasn't just on boards some of it was a re skim over a stabilizing solution and bonding agent. And the boards were only bought last week. So unless they have been sat in the merchants for an age they were new. I'm not the only one to have mentioned about how s**t this stuff is at the moment. Spoke to a mate of mine today who was on a different job and he's had mither aswell trying to trowel it up. . . . .? What else can it be. 25 plus years in the game, i don't think he's forgotten how to plaster all of a sudden.
There you go then.

Its gone like that after running the trowel over it, it isn't like that when it is laid down, it just looks normal, then when you wipe it over with the trowel it opens it all up and tears it, then leaves a mottled appearance like that.

Until you wipe the gear over on the first wipe it is absolutely fine, no lumps bits ripples etc. Its knocked up with a whisk. It goes on like every other guage of skim til you come to trowel it up.

If it's been troweled up then this texture is coming through then it's got to be 1 of 2 options, and as its on top of fresh boards, you have to assume the board finish is at fault. I would contact BG and not use the board finish for a while. No issues with it when I last used it

Out of curiosity, did you still get the usual finish and was it ok the day after?

Yes still got a decent finish with it but its bloody hard work achieving it. It shouldn't be behaving like that, it never use to. I'm binning it off and trying multi for a bit or changing merchants for a while, see if that makes any difference.

Yes still got a decent finish with it but its bloody hard work achieving it. It shouldn't be behaving like that, it never use to. I'm binning it off and trying multi for a bit or changing merchants for a while, see if that makes any difference.
Multi is shite at the mo and i was keen to use board finish till i saw this !! MP finish all the way on plasterboards its way ahead of BG material (at the mo)

If it's been troweled up then this texture is coming through then it's got to be 1 of 2 options, and as its on top of fresh boards, you have to assume the board finish is at fault. I would contact BG and not use the board finish for a while. No issues with it when I last used it

Out of curiosity, did you still get the usual finish and was it ok the day after?

Not totally over board though a stabilising solution and bonding agent apparently was used.
What is option 2 out of curiousity

why are you using a stabilising solution and bonding agent?
it looks to me that the pva has been applied to thick and it is mixing with the plaster causing the plaster to roll back.

Not totally over board though a stabilising solution and bonding agent apparently was used.
What is option 2 out of curiousity
Sorry I thought I made it clear but I can't even make sense out of this. (Been a long day off sick). Option 2 was the board finish but I never knew he used a bonding agent. Why's the need for this over new boards? I'm f**k**g puzzled here.. Back to my bed!

Status
Not open for further replies.