Confused

Davidst60

Hi guys and girls, I'm new to the forum and I don't know what's happened on a job I did around 6 months ago. Never had this issue before, please see the photos attached. The beads have all cracked on the stud walls, every other bead is fine on the steels, around windows, on brick walls. I was thinking expansion of the wood, but you'd surely get some expansion on every stud wall you've ever skimmed? It's also only one side of the bead, the internal angles are all fine.

I can take the loose plaster off, put a few extra nails or staples in easifill sand and paint but I'm wondering if anyone can think why it's happened?

Attachments

• IMG_20220820_184548.jpg
    IMG_20220820_184548.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 186
  • IMG_20220820_184552.jpg
    IMG_20220820_184552.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 171
  • IMG_20220820_184559.jpg
    IMG_20220820_184559.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 171
  • IMG_20220820_184620.jpg
    IMG_20220820_184620.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 190
probably the expansion of the wood.

I had an interesting conversation with a carpenter about it a while ago, he says they now grow trees faster so they can use them quicker, this means they have a lot less rings and they expand and contract more, this even happens on some fully dried and matured hardwoods that have been grown too fast.

Something else going on here. Crack too far back from a thin coat bead on Pb on studwork
I thought the same, it doesn't seem just like expansion, weight of the roof putting pressure on stud wall and pushing it out slightly?
I don't see how only the beads have cracked but there's not a single crack on any internal angle in the extension.

As you can see it's not just a hairline crack either the plasters coming away. If I push it, it cracks

Are these corner beads or stop beads? Either way its timber movement - probably two studs on the corner and has not fixed the corner stud to the one next to it. so the walll behind is moving the end stud se;perately from the one running the other way, or, its an end wall stud twisting. If you put a level on it is it stil flat and plumb? Possibl;y you have not used enough bead fixings for the bead to follow the movement/board and is springing out.

sometimes when they build these stud walls they measure them very tight between the floor and ceiling and
hammer them in, so any movement of the floor and ceiling is exaggerated, then released through the studwork. stud moves/expands, plasterboard moves. worse with poor quality timber.

Are these corner beads or stop beads? Either way its timber movement - probably two studs on the corner and has not fixed the corner stud to the one next to it. so the walll behind is moving the end stud se;perately from the one running the other way, or, its an end wall stud twisting. If you put a level on it is it stil flat and plumb? Possibl;y you have not used enough bead fixings for the bead to follow the movement/board and is springing out.
Thanks for the reply. I built the wall, boarded and skimmed myself. Single stud on the end, noggins between each one. Completely straightforward stud wall out of 4x2 cls. It's completely flat and level, put a 1.8 level on it and it's not bowed at all

You are right though the bead is definitely springing out. Pain in the arse. Just bizzare the job it happens on there isn't a single hairline crack anywhere, even above the doors.

sometimes when they build these stud walls they measure them very tight between the floor and ceiling and
hammer them in, so any movement of the floor and ceiling is exaggerated, then released through the studwork. stud moves/expands, plasterboard moves. worse with poor quality timber.
It was a while ago I built it so can't remember exactly but you could be right, perhaps the studs were a mm or 2 too long. I never get to the stage where I'm having to t**t the timber in though. If it doesn't move with a light tap then I'll take a couple of mm off.