Confused...?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMK

Went to have a look at a Barn conversion job today.
The owner said he'd already had prices in from other companies and every one priced to dot n dab everywhere including external Walls.
Was always taught not to dot n dab external stone Walls with infilled cavities.
Is this just me or is there something i'm missing out on?

no mate, you are right ;) explain to the fella about penetrating damp and the job will be yours.

there is alot of lads that only board and skim so thats all they know

No you are right RMK its just a quick easy way you would be able to do it with insulated board but its alot more expensive.

Cheers for the feedback guys. Feel a lot better now.
No spec mate, just each other company happened to say they'd do the same thing.
I thought it was the damp which was drawn by the adhesive that was the problem causing damp patches and eventual failure of the adhesive.
If that is the case then why is it ok to dab insulated board, because surely the adhesive will still fail? One of the other co's mentioned that they'd use insulated board you see.

Other problem is the owner wants insulation everywhere over And over again. He's even going to the extent of using insulated plasterboard in the ceiling covering 3inch kingspan.

Thinking of recommending a false cavity for external walls So can insulate and then just board n skim.

cant u scratchcoat the wall with waterproofer in first and then dib and dob to that

RMK said:
Not sure about that mate.
Have you done this flat boy?
Or anyone else...?
no its just a thourgh m8 cant see y not a prob

if he is having damp problems then he would be better off with a membrane.

ask him what he wants .... does he want upright flat walls or rendered walls following the existing shape.

I like doing barns ..... :)

i like doing my mrs :-*
[/quote]

So do i when your at work.
[/quote]

I was gonna say that :)

I dont think damp would make the adhesive fail as such, you just dont want damp patches all over your walls.

They're all solid stone walls. All the plaster was off and they were dry as a bone... and it's been rather wet up here recently!

I'm assuming that he wants plasterboard walls so he can get some insulation in to them either through insulated p board.

As i say, the other guys did quote to dab insulated board, but i don't like the sound of that at all. I guess it's cos i've never done it, but in my mind it needs a mechanical fix to stud work / gypframe and if you're doing that then you may aswell use ordinary pboard and pack the cavity with lagging.

Have heard of dabbing insulated board and then banging some clout nails through to the dabs to create a mechanical fix. anyone ever dabbed insulated board??

cheers skimmin!

that'd solve it and saves space, but wouldn't be plum. and i'm not going to mess around spacing out each batten fixing to make it so. Will ask the man with the cash.

You can dab insulated boards it's fine. Just let the dabs set then use 3 gyproc nailable plugs for extra support. Two at the top of the board and one in the centre. Don't use clout nails as cold can transfer through metal and you'll get little cold spots where the nails are.

we normally scratch in sand and cement with water proofer and then dab wall with insulated boards and couple of mechanical fixings on this type of work , but council have spec tanalised battens with 75mm kingspan bonded boards on job were on at min, were fixing boards with 90mm screws (apparently the kingspan boards have a vapour barrier built in to em)

insulated boards are a fortune mate, but as i say we'll be on labour only.

will give him follwoing options...
1. dab insulated boards with appropriate fixings
2. screw insulated boards to latts
3. screw 12.5 standard or insulated pboard to mf stud with lagging between

his choice.
be reyt.

ps- bogies. ha

you dont want to use fibreglass mate, the reason you are studing the wall is to stop the damp, the fibreglass will soak it up like a sponge. got to use sheet foam like kingspan etc etc...

;)

RMK said:
insulated boards are a fortune mate, but as i say we'll be on labour only.

will give him follwoing options...
1. dab insulated boards with appropriate fixings
2. screw insulated boards to latts
3. screw 12.5 standard or insulated pboard to mf stud with lagging between

his choice.
be reyt.

ps- bogies. ha
LATTS omg

lath is nothing like the latts that i'm on about mate. i'm talking battens as in treated ''slate latts''.

you must be a southerner. ha

RMK said:
lath is nothing like the latts that i'm on about mate. i'm talking battens as in treated ''slate latts''.

you must be a southerner. ha
oh soz :-X

Status
Not open for further replies.