Concrete Skirtings??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark1988

Hi, Went to price a job the other day to skim a 4m x 3m room (full room)

Fairly standard...only problem the room has concrete skirting fitted.

The guy is going to be removing these himself and is wanting to fit new wooden skirtings of similar size.

He removed a small section to show me what I was going to be filling... By removing them it is leaving a 4 inch high by 4 inch depth gap round the whole room.

Would bonding be the best plan to fill this before skimming?

any ideas would be great

cheers

you will need to make good the wall and the screed.
we only have laid granite skirtings in rooms that was considered wet like kitchens, boiler house etc.
i would make good the screed in cement and sand,
i would make good the walls in sand and cement cutting the bottom inch off back to the brickwork.

dab some strips of board making sure they are off the floor, tape the joint then skim and make sure he gets skirting higher than the joint so you wont see the crack if it happens.

I would place 2 x 1 roof battens around the bottom, sitting them on some 4" nails or plastic packers the window fitters use. Then gob it out in one thick coat of sand and cement. Leave until it's ready to skim them remove the packers/nails and the batten will come away no problem. Nice clean line along the bottom, job done. And as flynny says - make sure the skirts gonna be above the joint. :RpS_thumbup:

thanks very much, think i am going to fill with drywall adhesive and dot dab strips of plasterboard before skimming. i am going to make sure they get bigger skirtings

Status
Not open for further replies.