concrete repair

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

richardbrown

Private Member
Hi guys,

I am starting a barn conversion in a few weeks its a huge place and the main reception room has a very large old cider press in the centre which is sat on a concrete base about 8 inches thick and rectangle. Some time in the past one of the corners has been hacked off, if you imagine measuring about 10 inches from the corner both ways then drawing a line ... does that make sense ?.

Anyway the client wants me to repair the concrete so its rectangle again then render with brown sand.

This was my idea what do you think.

Drill and and fix stainless screws into the side of the concrete to give a mechanical fixing for the concrete to grab.

Make a former and pour concrete.

Sbr then terolene with sbr slurry

scratch 5-1
top 6-1

any ideas much appreciated

Thanks
Rich

sounds good, dunmo whether id bother withss screws tho is your using butter / sbr mix but aint ever gonna be a bad thing if u do.gl

Well I thought of the screw idea because I can just see some one later on in life standing on that corner and without the screws I could just see it coming away ! ?

Rich

Chilli sauce is that .Reckon i can beat you the weight front .I got on the scales this morning , but they only go up too 19 stone , then when they said i was 1 stone 3 pounds ,think that makes me 20 stone 3 pounds.

Rich, I repaired a lot of concrete in the past with various methods,if your interested I'll send you some pictures of a major repair that I've recently finished of architectural decorative stonework, plinth and cornice of an 1850 building using flexcement. It's easy because it's 50% lighter than renders when dry. Or if you look at my website and look at one of the listed renovations I've done have a look at the bay sandstone repairs.

kebab king said:
Well you could always load test it Rich , if you stand on there and goes nowhere think it will be ok .Lol

Not even sbr is that good ....... only joking RB

yeah thats kebab king....big old boy...he could eat for england,.....u should see him do pressups on his trowel.....

I'll send the photo's shortly Rich. The best two adhesives to use with concrete repair is the p100 which I use which has a bonding ability of 1.2n per square mm or two part liquid epoxy. Dont use sbr or any other crap pva as it will definatly peel. Quoin beads are ok for support or consider 8mm helical splines then form shape with ex-met.

your original plan sounds good to me mr brown, its only a decorative feature after all, not a load bearing footing or anything...

Rich can you check your emails and see if you have them pics I'm not to clever on these PC's. When you repair concrete load bearing or not it should be done right, I am sure that Rich would be to busy or want to keep his good reputation rather than go back and do it again rather than spend a few quid on the correct material. You should always repair concrete using a lightweight material, there are far to many people around with the 'that'll do' attitude thats why there are so many chancers about

Just read your thread again, missed the render bit. Why don't you use an acid stain instead of rendering it will look original as well

the area around the cider press is like a huge 3 story atrium that he wants rendered using a brown course sand.

the base of the cider press is a very crude concrete that needs a lot of tidying hence rendering

rich :)

Will you have time to get on this course before you do it Rich, if you repair the corners then 10mm flexcement all over and print it with a limestone or wall texture mat and colour to suit. The boys off here have seen all the different mats I have and how easy it is. No worries about micro-cracks, natural shrinkage or capillary porosity or adhesive letting go.

Actually it would probably look really good if we could find the right look like some old cobbles or something.

I am 100% up for it but as I said its just a time thing at the moment :(

I've got a cobblestone mat, I understand the time thing thats why I have to run the courses on weekends, hopefully you will be able to make it down

Rich their are proper epoxy based concrete repairs available and all work well, i repaired most of the terraces at the Spurs ground in the 80s with this kind of stuff so i know it works try Sikas website as i know they do one
Lucius

Thanks Lucius.

I am going up to the job next week so will try and take some photos for you all to see, it will be amazing when finished

I was using the epoxy based moulding mortars years ago, good quality material but found it more difficult to colour match and fewer options for it's use.

Status
Not open for further replies.