concrete ceiling patch

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

harvey2012

i've been asked to patch a concrete ceiling, the patch is approx 2 square metres and 10 mill deep, the site manager is insisting on limelite even though i've told him it's a bad idea, i can't get them to budge on this, has anyone any ideas on how i could get it to bond successfully to make matters worse it's in a high traffic area and i'm worried about somebody being seriously hurt if it debonds.

Sbr would bond it , I would of thought one coat plaster would of been better for this than limelight.even a thin coat of sand and cement over sbr would suffice,ie silver sand and cement at 4/1 over an sbr scud..best to do as he says or alternatively don't do it at all.

Yes, but it would not be a choice material for me, suggest the sbr option with silver sand and cement..

thanks for your input i'll give it a go, i'm still worried though, do you think it might be an idea to lay it in two coats, throwing the first coat letting it semi set then trowel on the second coat, just an idea.

thanks for your input i'll give it a go, i'm still worried though, do you think it might be an idea to lay it in two coats, throwing the first coat letting it semi set then trowel on the second coat, just an idea.
10mm is tight enough, just sbr it,then bang it on,rule ,float when ready,there is no more in my opinion that you can do.

I'd use betokontakt or Bluegrit type of adhesive first as I'm guessing the concrete is smooth??

I'd use betokontakt or Bluegrit type of adhesive first as I'm guessing the concrete is smooth??

no they've had a roof leek and because its caused some flaking paint and salt they're going to cut out the patch, it's not actually been cut out yet, i'm not sure how they're going to manage a ten mill deep uniform cut in a ceiling though, i wanted them to scabble it, but they won't have it.

no they've had a roof leek and because its caused some flaking paint and salt they're going to cut out the patch, it's not actually been cut out yet, i'm not sure how they're going to manage a ten mill deep uniform cut in a ceiling though, i wanted them to scabble it, but they won't have it.
Don't worry about this job yet,the spec will change once its ready to go,

Jesus be careful then mate?? Might be best to leave it as if they won't prep it properly ?? They will be quick to blame you should it fail ???:RpS_confused:

Jesus be careful then mate?? Might be best to leave it as if they won't prep it properly ?? They will be quick to blame you should it fail ???:RpS_confused:
They will sue you ,you will lose the house ,the wife will leave you,you will end up homeless and addicted to crack,ironic ..

Before metal frame ceilings came in, all concrete ceilings we used to do on blocks of flats were carlite bonding and skim straight onto the concrete no bonding agent. I would not be surprised when the patch is chopped out you find its carlite. I would give a good pva, carlite bonding and set.

if there are salts i would guess it is a plastered ceiling in carlite bonding. i would cut the plaster off, let the concrete dry out then replaster. the site agent want to use limelite plaster to combat the salt problem.

Whats wrong with bonding?

The bonding of 30 years ago & today are totally different stuff. You used to be able turn the shovel upside down & gravity still wouldn't make it let go.
It's let me down a couple of times in recent years applied to ceiling repairs of an inch in thickness - You turn your back & the lot is on the floor.

for the task in question I would scratch coat it in Weber Rend aid, and apply the Limelite to it the next day.
I have used Rend aid onto smooth concrete (after shuttering was removed) and it ain't gonna fail ... trust me!

weber.rend aid - Weber

The bonding of 30 years ago & today are totally different stuff. You used to be able turn the shovel upside down & gravity still wouldn't make it let go.
It's let me down a couple of times in recent years applied to ceiling repairs of an inch in thickness - You turn your back & the lot is on the floor.

for the task in question I would scratch coat it in Weber Rend aid, and apply the Limelite to it the next day.
I have used Rend aid onto smooth concrete (after shuttering was removed) and it ain't gonna fail ... trust me!

weber.rend aid - Weber
The old boys who I served my time with many moons ago always added some hydrated lime to bonding when we had to patch up old lath ceilings :RpS_thumbup: that was sticky stuff.

The old boys who I served my time with many moons ago always added some hydrated lime to bonding when we had to patch up old lath ceilings :RpS_thumbup: that was sticky stuff.

yes good tip as lime sticky so add bits to the bonding will help adhesion

Status
Not open for further replies.