Combing out corners

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebearbeef

Sorry if this makes me sound like an amateur but can anyone explain what combing out corners means? Had a few people say to me there proper plasterers that comb out corners still and if im honest its not even a saying pr practice ive heard of before. Am i missing a good way of getting my angles better when floating? Is it just an old school saying?

Not heard that term before the only thing I can imagine it is the first when you run a notch down the angle beads ready for skim one coat. I use an angle plane for this, first I run it up the bead flat just to make sure there isn't a bump lurking, then hold it at an angle into the knib of the bead run it top to bottom and take out a couple of mm.

Sounds like a good practice, havent done any major area on hardwall for years and going back to its been a steep refresher course to be fair. Seeing the quality improve massively as the jobs gone on but still room for alot of improvement if im honest.

its something thats done , during the internal rendering /floating out stage to walls and ceiling lines

dont suppose its just a reference to pulling out your internals and ceiling/skirting lines with a straight edge on first coat of skim?

fela that taught me did this on every single job im afraid to say as soon as I went on my own never bothered unless its job critical that said I find if I take the speedskim out I tend to pay more attention to such detais again!:RpS_thumbup:

dont suppose its just a reference to pulling out your internals and ceiling/skirting lines with a straight edge on first coat of skim?

fela that taught me did this on every single job im afraid to say as soon as I went on my own never bothered unless its job critical that said I find if I take the speedskim out I tend to pay more attention to such detais again!:RpS_thumbup:

It could be i guess but the fella that said it seemed to take real pride in the fact that he still does it it and most dont.

Can you use a speedskim on hardwall?

It could be i guess but the fella that said it seemed to take real pride in the fact that he still does it it and most dont.

Can you use a speedskim on hardwall?

can use it on anything but it depends on how wet your gear is and what angle you hold will make the difference between levelling or just flattening!

would still use a straight edge to rule any proper float and set work though bud:RpS_thumbup:

Got to be about setting up straight lines on internals when floating. Most really old blokes set straight down each corner and skirting line and one across the middle about 1.5m up. Plumb and rule them off then work off them. However no body is going to do that on price work

Each too their own just get it on the wall and get paid.
Personally I spray then rule with 6' h section, flatten if required with 1m refina s*p*r*lex spatula and then devil, just before skimming use an angle plane on internal and external angles and run the nib out on beads. Then skim away and moan like f##k about the suction.

Status
Not open for further replies.