Cold temperatures

Status
Not open for further replies.
This time last year I had my fingers burned - partly because of my lack of knowledge, I agreed to skim the entrance porches (5 in total) of a block of flats - Nice job I thought and proceeded to skim away - cutting a long story short, because there was no heating in the porches themselves, the skim froze when the temperature dipped below freezing and blew away from the wall - I had to make 4 return trips in all as all 5 porches were affected in one way or another.

Today, I'm supposed to be doing the same thing - its an entrance hallway to an upstairs flat but the doors to the entrance have been bashed in and so the entrance is exposed to the elements

I have told the chap I'm doing it for that it would be daft to skim the walls (on board admittedly) as the temp dropped to minus 3 last night and that I'd tackle it when I can see on the forecast that I will have a run of 3-4 nights where the temp stays above freezing - I dont want to leave any heating apparatus in there cos like I said, the doors are almost non existent and I wouldnt want anythnig to get nicked

Basically have I done the right thing or have I told him a load of crap ??

I have just got bak today after 6 weeks off for bad cold weather... stuck 20 m2 of mono on this am and going back 5pm to rub it up.... but i have the job tented up and a propane heater on all night just to be sure as its forcast 0 to -2c here tonight...
but to answer your question i think you should be ok to skim now... if you just do a morning set say 40 m2 then it will be troweled and finished for 12am then you have about 10 - 11 hours before the temp drops also if the doors are non existant the wind will help dry them out... so personally i would go for it mate... ;)

pristineplastering said:
This time last year I had my fingers burned - partly because of my lack of knowledge, I agreed to skim the entrance porches (5 in total) of a block of flats - Nice job I thought and proceeded to skim away - cutting a long story short, because there was no heating in the porches themselves, the skim froze when the temperature dipped below freezing and blew away from the wall - I had to make 4 return trips in all as all 5 porches were affected in one way or another.

Today, I'm supposed to be doing the same thing - its an entrance hallway to an upstairs flat but the doors to the entrance have been bashed in and so the entrance is exposed to the elements

I have told the chap I'm doing it for that it would be daft to skim the walls (on board admittedly) as the temp dropped to minus 3 last night and that I'd tackle it when I can see on the forecast that I will have a run of 3-4 nights where the temp stays above freezing - I dont want to leave any heating apparatus in there cos like I said, the doors are almost non existent and I wouldnt want anythnig to get nicked

Basically have I done the right thing or have I told him a load of crap ??

A load of crap which might cost you the job, aslong as the background isnt frozen you should be sound and whats wrong with sheeting the door up or nailing a plasterboard over it?

Id go for it too,if the walls got a cavity the wall wont freeze at -2.so your plaster wont fall off.
Now if your rendering bare brick/ block and it freezes thats a different matter.
At the end of ther day all youve got to lose is a bag or to of finnish!!

would of thought it would of been alright on board but better to be safe than sorry i suppose,just out of intrest was it board you had the problem on?

in the same boat really phoned up two readymix companys today as i got some concrete to lay and they both reckon its ok to lay it aslong as it doesnt go below -2 cant see it myself but their the experts i suppose ??? what do u guys think?

I've had skim freeze over night on board before now and it was fine. Admittedly only bit round the door but it was fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.