Cold spots.

mikejchapman

I converted our dining room a good few years ago now and have always had cold spots all over the external wall where each dab is. The 2nd pic shows a spot in a corner which although dry has black marks over a small area of a couple of inches.
I put up the plaster boards and the wall was the inner skin of blocks, its a cavity wall with brick on the external.
We have issues with soft furnishings going mildewed and the room is generally cold. We have rads both ends.

Any advice would be welcomed please, as we'd really like to finally sort it out.
89c15b19ca3cb4fb9989e7e0198ae635.jpg
971a2306faa8fc9fd9f8ba5c67261d36.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I converted our dining room a good few years ago now and have always had cold spots all over the external wall where each dab is. The 2nd pic shows a spot in a corner which although dry has black marks over a small area of a couple of inches.
I put up the plaster boards and the wall was the inner skin of blocks, its a cavity wall with brick on the external.
We have issues with soft furnishings going mildewed and the room is generally cold. We have rads both ends.

Any advice would be welcomed please, as we'd really like to finally sort it out.
89c15b19ca3cb4fb9989e7e0198ae635.jpg
971a2306faa8fc9fd9f8ba5c67261d36.jpg

Any pics of the wall outside behind it?

I’d guess a combination of water ingress and no trickle vents in the windows? Stagnant damp air.
The water ingress could be from dirty wall ties causing a bridge across the cavity, mortar in the insulation leaking roof gutter without seeing it’s anyones guess

Not at the moment. It's brick, pine end and has no water running down it and the damp course should be ok. The dining rm was garage has always had a room above too.

So it was a single skin wall and you built a block wall in front? Did you insulate it?

Rip off the board that there ,you might get further information ,replace it with insulated board with a membranę , dąb it on with tile adhesive or just mechanical fix, make sure there's ventilation as stated above

Rip off the board that there ,you might get further information ,replace it with insulated board with a membranę , dąb it on with tile adhesive or just mechanical fix, make sure there's ventilation as stated above
Thanks John.

What did you do with the floor?
The floor was raised with concrete, self leveller and pva. In hindsight not the best as it's a cold floor as a result. I did once take some of the laminate up as i thought the floor must be damp but it was dry.

Just because it's damp where each dab of adhesive is doesn't mean that there's damp coming in, it is likely that each dab is a cold spot and that the surface of the wall has become the dew point.
You should have at the very least checked that the cavity hadn't been bridged and preferably filled it with insulation.

Just because it's damp where each dab of adhesive is doesn't mean that there's damp coming in, it is likely that each dab is a cold spot and that the surface of the wall has become the dew point.
You should have at the very least checked that the cavity hadn't been bridged and preferably filled it with insulation.
The wall was already there, double skin wall block and brick. The inside of the wall was dry as a garage, i supposenit would have had plenty of air circulation as a garage, even if there was rubble in the cavity? It might be that as it was a garage they weren't so careful?

Should of had buildimg regs
Which would of covered regs for habitable room ..
Fire proofing /insulation/ventilation
Means of escape damp proofing

Cut the dabs out and fill the holes with expanding foam. It's a better insulator and it won't allow the passage of moisture

You are suffering from high humidity probably, that is why the dabs are probably showing up and you have some black spot mould. Ventilate more and put your heating on also more. Is the loft insulated ? and how thick

Warm air, cold surface = condensation (moisture).....
Warm air, warm surface = no condensation (dry)...

As has been said, get some warm air flow in the place and see if it makes a difference.

Next option, bite bullet and rip it off ......stud it out with say 3”x2” leave a tiny gap between the new and old wall breather paper and insulation, new boards, skim, decorate, reap the inevitable brownie points......
Happy to help.