cleaning trowels

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricky 10

hiya lads i have a marshalltown pre worn trowell i clean evertime after use and sometimes soak overnight but i still get a like a film over it which doesnt brush off i can get it off with a razor but does that damage it thanx

Dry them after use ( properly ).
I treat my old steel trowels with more love and care than my wife !!!!!
Warm dry rub down after work.Followed by a deep penetrating oil massage ( WD40 ) Then tuck them in there nice warm bed i made out of old foam to stop them getting damaged and lose there edges.
You gotta look after your kit son. 1st rule of plastering.

I put mine in a sink of warm water and vinegar, brings em up a treat, they usally get it at xmas, a nice bath before couple of weeks off!! ;D

a good soaking in rain water (plenty of it around at the moment)for a few days seems to do the trick for me just the trowel part tho i never soak the handle i think the nut can rust n knacker up ??? mines caked,gonna have a xmas spruse up me thinks

after a long winter skimming i water down some brick acid and let them soak in that for a few hours they come out like new

i use a scraper then use a wet and dry sanding block and run it rite up:) i never clean it at work and it gets lobbed in the van!

used acid on mine waterd down came up atreat accept 1 it fckd the spine of it up it crumbled it a bit dnt no why but i wus guted had it since my first day at wrk only use it for final polish now she gon real thin. oh and i only ever use water on her. bless. oh and the new worn in ones diferent grade of steel. so they never cum up the same

put it in a bucket of water overnight, then use some very very fine sand paper, it gets all the s**t off, and it wont knacker the edges up.

Here are my'n! iv just stuck um in hot water with half a bottel of white vinager (no resaon)

will scrape um 2moro and use wet and dry sand paper on um :)

cleaning trowels

i take mine to the health spa and they have a full body massage and a facial.
Look after your trowel and your trowel will look after you

Bloody hell Oasis I keep the trowel for scrapping the floors up cleaner than those trowels of your's :eek:

pftmonojetman said:
I leave my skimming bucket in the water butt over a weekend come up like new monday morn

Same as, with a brick in the bucket to stop it floating upside down.

oasis...thats never your skimming trowel?!!!! it looks like its been sat in a bucket of multi!!

i've got 4....1 good one but the top rivet has gone so its on its way out. another that i've been using for laying on and 1st trowel to break it in, a new one to break in once the first one goes. and an old 14 inch thats been cut down to a midget haha.

iv got a few i try and brake a few in just in case ha. every1 is shocked at my trowels.. duno wot i do i wash um down in the dirty wash bucket evey day and lob um in the van.. so maybe i should wash it in clean water more often then dry it?

just give it a wipe in clean water. i'm quite bad as ill clean my trowel one a week. fat still builds up eventually but i'd never let it get like that oasis haha

washing machine, bit of ariel, bit of conditioner,...peg it on the line, let it drip dry....Do not iron. ;D

essexandy said:
pftmonojetman said:
I leave my skimming bucket in the water butt over a weekend come up like new monday morn

Same as, with a brick in the bucket to stop it floating upside down.

same as but it goes in every night suprising how much shite is in the bottom of the barrel when you empty it fully and the stainless trowell go in it over the weekend

but to behonest the original question was answered in grands 1st post

if you look at a mans tools you can tell pretty much what his work is gonna be like thats an old saying which is still true to this day ;)

it wont but it makes me feel better haha. i worked on a job a while back and the other spreads trowel was that dirty, you couldnt see the handle! now thats gotta be sore.

oasis said:
iv got a few i try and brake a few in just in case ha. every1 is shocked at my trowels.. duno wot i do i wash um down in the dirty wash bucket evey day and lob um in the van.. so maybe i should wash it in clean water more often then dry it?

Im same as you mate, the only important edge is the blade, the back and handle being filthy (a build up of dirty water) dont do f**k all, I got that much s**t on my handle its mulded to my hand, so a nice clean trowel gives me blisters these days :D

OK since you all told me off for my trowels i have make and effort to clean then with a deep 24 hour soak, scraper attack, wet an dry paper and wd40 an a dry towel :)

looking good and feeling lighter!

cleaning trowels

cleaning trowels

Oasis you need to change your water bucket more often and that build up of plaster on your trowels wont happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.