cleaning angles

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nicksey1401

just something i wanted to try but you know when you get to the third trowel and youre nibbing away at the angle with the toe of youre trowel i bought a large taping knife works a treat, not worth it on the first couple though

ymean like a taping knife is like a funny shape cant remember the geometric name of it, but shorter at the handle and wider at the blade tip? seems a good idea...i try and get em early, same eway you would any misses elsewhere, but to tell the truth, no matter how hard i try to get square edges/corners layin on (run the trowel up em before you move on) and repeat on subsequent trowels...i always seem to get a build up in the 3 way corners..course on the 3rd or even 1st after flatten the miss becomes apparent off the toe of the trowel so i always try and fill it sooner rather than later..
i reckon its a side product of usin a bigger trowel to lay on with cos the pressure tends to be more in the middle leavin the edge to flex..not a problem on the rest of the wall cos ure overlappin...
bet any money if i layed a full wall on with an 11" trowel and stuck with the 11'' it wouldnt be anywhere near as bad...???

i've worked with old school lads that will lay a ceiling on and go all the way round the angle first so youre always troweling up lengthways then fill out the middle working back into it as a sort of screed.
fair play it's more time consuming but the angle will always look better, the taping knife is what you describe mate, when you say 3 way angle do you mean ceiling + wall angles or a soft angle ?

yeh, ceiling + wall angles/corners..
i always get some on the toe and run down the ceiling line left - right all the way,vertical trowel, then start the left hand corner to the floor vertical trowel and run it up horizontally...
then its just left to right 3/4, then fill the bottom in..
must just be me, you cant really tell when its done its only very slight but i know its there...
could just be that cos of the squareness and the fact im trying to keep away from the ceiling i just done, and theyre difficult to clean out, i just end up mashin it in and trowelin it up rather than hook off any excess with the trowel first...

do you just get one fat line in the angle? if it is i do too mate (aswell as judder marks ;D) is it because we're working both angles?? one's going to be more prominent than the rest (prominent .......queens english tonight boys) is this it bigseggs cause honestly i havent got a clue what youre saying :D ..............but if it's slight we all leave slight marks that only we know about ya haa haaaa ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaa

We normally knock out full rooms in one go(wherever possible). I will trowel my ceiling corners along each edge with the toe of my trowel to make sure theres no build up in the corner, fill any hollows and then come out from the edges all the way round the room then flatten the middle of ceiling. Walls i trowel up each corner from top to bottom, fill in the hollows then walk left to right across the wall twice for each line. Once i've done this fill in corners with twitcher (internal corner trowel). Double coat do again then its time to get your paw out for the pennies!

i jus constantly look down my ceilin lines an if its heavy/bellcastin in the corners,jus toe it flat,simple as.i always keep checkin coz 9 times outa ten,they will need a lil toe-ing from time to time :) also,coz im no site,i try to always work to hard angles,A.coz it easier an B,coz my twitcher is now brand new an needs breakin in which i cant be arsed doin!!! all the ceilins then opposite walls,jobs a good 'un...

Status
Not open for further replies.