Clay Plaster

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

clayplasterman

Hello

I do clay plastering in Reading area does anyone on here do similar heritage work with natural plasters?

please message me back.

Regards

Paul.

Welcome to the forum mate, got any pics of your work? Sounds interesting.......I've done a few internal limework jobs and it's very enjoyable work - quite 'earthy' if you know what I mean :RpS_thumbup:

Hi mate

i do have some i'll sort them out and put them up i use natural colours in my plaster so there is no need to decorate after! have you come across clay plaster?

does this is interest to you? always happy to spread the word of natural plasters, how to apply etc...its becoming quite popular down south...:RpS_thumbup:

Alreet marra, welcome.........Start spreading the knowledge we are all ears....:RpS_thumbup:

www.americanclay.com

Hi i use the american clay system far superior both colours 110 & product with 4 textures plus market knowledge over 12 years around the world...i have used clayworks product and they use an old casien binder which goes off in a couple of days ( stinks to high heaven) american clay stays live for over 6 months with other benefits.

but true the finish is real nice...

id like to know more about this product but am far too busy at the moment to even think about anything other than the knowledge about it, but i like the sound of this product its something a bit different which i like

id like to know more about this product but am far too busy at the moment to even think about anything other than the knowledge about it, but i like the sound of this product its something a bit different which i like

sure if you go on website and email me i can send some PDFs out..

Clay man do you sponge it when you finish it or trowel it up normally, or float it .....

Hi Spunky hows it going hows the little one?

If you mean how do we finish it...its best to do final compresion with a plastic trowel rather than the stainless trowels which leave carbon deposits, but saying that some people like the grey deposits, you can use a sponge to give a more suede finish, but it has a different feel to multi more sandy rather than a cream fat type of feel and you can bring it back to life and re-work if needed as it doesnt set.

Just wondered if using a sponge makes it look a bit more even than if you didn't

its a bit like you were saying about sponge floats it does help if the suction is high it will even it out and bring it to life again but too much water will hinder rather than help just let the suction take the water out and carry on, but a sponge will give surface an even texture.

Is it 2 coat or 1?

Hi you can use Enjarre as a one coat because its a higher build coarser product, but as with multi you get a better finish with two coats and the first coat normally need over night to dry before you apply second it works on suction and drying out because it dosent set chemically.

Hi, Did anyone here try applying clay plaster on regular gypsum plaster? I want to experiment a bit with clay plaster but all the info I managed to find was about using clay over strawbale.

Hi, Did anyone here try applying clay plaster on regular gypsum plaster? I want to experiment a bit with clay plaster but all the info I managed to find was about using clay over strawbale.

Hi Mila yes you can apply clay plaster over Gypsum plaster you will need to apply a sanded primer prior to plastering to give a mechanical grip. email me and we can discuss further paul@americanclay.eu regards Paul.

Ok guys,
My take. Been doing this in the states for almost eight years. Love the product.great finish opportunities for any room. What I usually do is basecoat with a setting type hard joint compound( durabond brown bag), to that in dry mix I add about three quarter gallon structolite plaster. This will stick to most walls and give you a inexpensive leveling and building coat. Also leaves surface rough for first coat loma. Most of the ti e no color added to that coat. From there you could finish with another coat of loma or porcellina or maritino. Sometimes I will only do one coat loma colored coat over the durabond. Also love the porcellina with black Oliver soap into a tightly worked surface. The key is getting all walls right before putting clay on.also like the casin add mix to go over a perfect painted wall. I don't use the mix when going over the durabond, lots of suction there.

Rex

got 2 say sponges and gypsum finishing plaster should never meet !! there is only 1 way trowel it up in steel .........

Ok guys,
My take. Been doing this in the states for almost eight years. Love the product.great finish opportunities for any room. What I usually do is basecoat with a setting type hard joint compound( durabond brown bag), to that in dry mix I add about three quarter gallon structolite plaster. This will stick to most walls and give you a inexpensive leveling and building coat. Also leaves surface rough for first coat loma. Most of the ti e no color added to that coat. From there you could finish with another coat of loma or porcellina or maritino. Sometimes I will only do one coat loma colored coat over the durabond. Also love the porcellina with black Oliver soap into a tightly worked surface. The key is getting all walls right before putting clay on.also like the casin add mix to go over a perfect painted wall. I don't use the mix when going over the durabond, lots of suction there.

Rex

Hi Rex where do you work in the states? yes clay is nice to use and it doesnt set like gypsum i still have product up the workshop over a year old but doesnt contain the add mix casein milk protein type of binder as that only has a two day window then stinks to high heaven i prefer the UP&EZ better and more durable product IMO. yes ive heard of guys using this in the states the strucolite plaster but again i have tried many system here in the UK and find the best way is use a fine sanded primer like a wickes/Knauf product sticks well and gives a perfect surface to apply first coat of clay to IMO. Also use use different types of soaps here Marseille soap being one but this will alter is repairability qualities. Paul.

Hi Paul,
I'm near Chicago. I like to use structolite first to build up or blow out the "feeling" of a "weak" plasterboard wall. This way I will use less clay and still have that"blown out " look to the wall. With the loma I prefer to finish with a damp sponge
Rex

Hi Paul,
I'm near Chicago. I like to use structolite first to build up or blow out the "feeling" of a "weak" plasterboard wall. This way I will use less clay and still have that"blown out " look to the wall. With the loma I prefer to finish with a damp sponge
Rex

Hi Rex have you been to Albequerque to see Croft? They are bringing some French product, Platre and using this as base coat material i did the initial test for American clay in France with Marc Pontin nice guy.
yes finishing and compressing with a sponge give a smooth matte finish.

Yes Paul, been to abq,know Croft. Actually did a very large home in Santa Fe with Rivesto marmorino.havent seen the French product yet but interested.will it be like tadlakt? Love it out there in New Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.