christchurch rebuild?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave82

Hi all, im looking at working abroad for a year and have heard about the christchurch rebuild, does anyone have any contacts or know if there's a lot of work and if the moneys good? Info on anywhere else would be appreciated too. Im 30, have Nvq level 3 and 12 years time served, proper plasterer, not just a skimmer! Cheers

Hi all, im looking at working abroad for a year and have heard about the christchurch rebuild, does anyone have any contacts or know if there's a lot of work and if the moneys good? Info on anywhere else would be appreciated too. Im 30, have Nvq level 3 and 12 years time served, proper plasterer, not just a skimmer! Cheers
Have no info but a lot of Kiwis are in Australia for work so NZ cant be a great place for work

They are defo looking for people out there but as john said they also looking in Aus especially Perth.

seen an advert by hayes recruiytment they were offerin 1400 a week but you had to have your vsa in place m thnkin about it to
let me no if you get a lead

seen an advert by hayes recruiytment they were offerin 1400 a week but you had to have your vsa in place m thnkin about it to
let me no if you get a lead
That sounds like big money. I was told there was lots of work going on but that the money wasn't great for the cost of living. But that seems great money.

Contact Us - Alpha Interiors

Ring Waikato office and speak to graham, he is based in Hamilton but will know about if they have anything in Christchurch, just explain your looking to go over and ask him for 5 minutes, he's a nice bloke.

Our lasses dad is project manager at fletchers construction based on north island, but they sub everything out to alpha and another British kid called Adam who only takes British spreads on (apparently) if I get time ill get Adams number out for you, again nice kid, but appreciate the time difference and ask for 5 mins, he'll tell you about prices.

Think he offered me between $24-$30 nzd per hour when I was there, depending on what I could do, which is most aspects.

Don't get your hopes up they are not brilliant, it will be $1400 nzd, not £1400. Lot of Chinese out there at minute creaming the work doing 12 - 14 hrs p day.

All tape and joint work and gib stopping ( drylining ) didn't really get much info about rendering though.

Standard of living is great but luxury items like chocolate, imported beers, tobacco and vehicles are quite expensive, cars/vans don't rust (no salt) so for some thing 10 yr old you'd pay about £3000/$6000 more for a van or UTE ( truck )

That's all I know mate, hope it helps.

Cheers guys, i phoned hays and it didn't sound too promising, told me they can't promise work till i step foot in nz and wouldn't talk about prices as it could differ from job to job, didn't like the sound of it.

Thanks for the contacts and info mate, Will defiantly ring, Adams number would be greatly appreciated too. Cheers

Im in CH CH for the rebuild I'm working on the Uni in the city at the mo, were having alot of English/Irish plasterers walk on site and getting fustrated as the Uni is pretty much all plasterboard stopping not skimming as we know it "GIB Stopping".
its also at level 5 which is the highest standard of finishing which means youve got a QA bloke walking round with a light checking everything. If anyone wants any advice or help send me a message.
Rob from Derby

looking to come over in 3 months any machine plastering going on any contact numbers mate 32 years plastering so I'll bring my glasses

Christcurch

Im in CH CH for the rebuild I'm working on the Uni in the city at the mo, were having alot of English/Irish plasterers walk on site and getting fustrated as the Uni is pretty much all plasterboard stopping not skimming as we know it "GIB Stopping".
its also at level 5 which is the highest standard of finishing which means youve got a QA bloke walking round with a light checking everything. If anyone wants any advice or help send me a message.
Rob from Derby

Hey up pal i just looking into nz now what the crack out there is there good money to be made and is it expensive to live?u hear that many different comment you dont no who to believe.i got a job offer so it make my mind up time so any advice would be great.my e mail cprmarble@mail.com cheers adi

I went through a wanderlust of working away in the very early 90's, Disney Paris, Barcelona 1990 and 93, Germany regularly between 90 to 95. As Rocksolid stated earlier, get off the plane and start your search, far to many empty promises of great work and big money.
Be prepared for possible hardship and rough accommodation to begin with until you find your feet. saw to many British/Irish lads go into mental melt down the first time they were knocked or promised work failed to materialise.

Status
Not open for further replies.