Chinese levels!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok lads, ive heard it all now. Ive been working for a local builder this week who is adiment every wall has to be plum, straight and level whether its a old cottage or a wall to float out in s/c 7 inches thick or hed rather have reveals diff measurements if the windows was leaning. Its all rush, rush, rush with no appreciation of good quality work but the moneys great and he offers the odd day hear and there, approx £25000 worth of plastering a year part time so i grin and bear it in this current climate.
Recently refurbed a house for him to an exellent standard as advised to 'just' hurry up and skim over everything. Final check before payment and he decided to put a level on a wall i floated....
It ran out 2mm over a 8ft length. Not bad i thought as it was s/c 5 inches thick.
Lance its not straight! its perfect i replied, lance its not ******* straight! Mate its perfect TRUST ME... I can see daylight between the straight edge a little bit there, pass me a tape measure. I passed him the tape measure becoming very aggitated and mad at this fools comments. Measure that kid he said.... how am i gona do that its 2mm pal, how bigs 2mm he said? About as big as a piece of papper i said harshly in a raised tone. I thought u was a super star plasterer kid we dont have mm tolerances lol and winked at me, pass me that level....
So i handed him my 6ft level and he looked at it and i qoute him saying 'thats a chinese level!!! we dont use chinese levels!!!, they have different ******* regulations over there'
Have u ever heard such nonsense lads? Honestly i could of just bent that level over his head there and then haha but then that wouldnt of been professional and i wouldnt of got my cheaque, must admit that comment lightened the mood and i was laughing all day :RpS_lol:

I think I'm right in saying that a 3mm in 1.8m is the accepted tolerance in high end work. A pound coin is 3mm thick and that's why I used to get a guy I was training to carry one in his pocket at all times.

I think I'm right in saying that a 3mm in 1.8m is the accepted tolerance in high end work. A pound coin is 3mm thick and that's why I used to get a guy I was training to carry one in his pocket at all times.
Come on Andy that was his wages mate :RpS_sneaky:

There are some BS or EN regs to do with flatness....... give one of the manufacturers a call and ask them to confirm the details and reference details.....

That's mr miyagi type stuff that. I like it though. Sand a floor, wax on wax off, use the pound!

Honest ive been saying chinese levels all week lol it had about 4 heavy coats and 2 bags of board finish threw on it, there was nout wrong with the work just hes a brick short of a load. Come on sissors u know me better than that i take pride in my work. They took down the external gables on both sides but didnt rebuild the internal walls. He also said no 'boarding' or 'bonding' on the external walls, hes sand and cement mad. His job his rules wether i like it or not...

Is cracking a problem with this density of sand and cement ,the brickwork may move but the render has,little elasticity ..

All went wrong when they started saying we must use hard wall ,imo , that's why there are less need for labours ,so harder to get a start ,20 years ago most had one

Four heavy coats getting out to 5 inches would worry the life out of me, especially if it's at the top of the wall. Christ it could kill someone if it fell on them.
You'd need about six weeks curing time to dub it out that thickness lol

All went wrong when they started saying we must use hard wall ,imo , that's why there are less need for labours ,so harder to get a start ,20 years ago most had one
In the eighties they bonded out everything,even outside reveals, I saw a while back ,handymen/ labourers sticking plasterboard onto hardwall and the hardwall over that, try tell them, they are to thick to listen..no one gives a **** on a lot of jobs, old walls with damp and blown sections, they tell us skim over it... The game is crap at times.

i recently priced another job for him appox 1500m2 of overskiming and 300m2 of board and skim. I might be posting on the forum for a lift as he wants it completed within 2 weeks. Keep a look out local north west lads, no chancers... its in stockport if any1s intrested but ill post in the plasterers wanted section when the time is right.

i recently priced another job for him appox 1500m2 of overskiming and 300m2 of board and skim. I might be posting on the forum for a lift as he wants it completed within 2 weeks. Keep a look out local north west lads, no chancers... its in stockport if any1s intrested but ill post in the plasterers wanted section when the time is right.
Mad isn't even on this site and with all,your contacts,its very hard to get the right people, same for us all,I think. I knew a guy once with 120 men in plastering under him ,that is between labourers ,plasterers ,screeders ,tackers ,mf etc but still to get them all and good is it possible ?

In the eighties they bonded out everything,even outside reveals, I saw a while back ,handymen/ labourers sticking plasterboard onto hardwall and the hardwall over that, try tell them, they are to thick to listen..no one gives a **** on a lot of jobs, old walls with damp and blown sections, they tell us skim over it... The game is crap at times.
Strong be leaver if you do a good job and right it will come back to you in the end :RpS_unsure:

Strong be leaver if you do a good job and right it will come back to you in the end :RpS_unsure:
It was that way before anyway, I got a grand just for been on the job in the early 2000s ,did a bit of graft but it was mostly getting my boys spreading and having the right materials plant etc, then i gave a lot of it up, went into minuscule developing, recession hit, still,not back to,those rates yet but not a million miles,away. Some sites I visited, they just said john we need polish prices.. The millionaires are laughing at us ,scrambling around for pennies whilst house prices are rising in London and the Home Counties.

It was that way before anyway, I got a grand just for been on the job in the early 2000s ,did a bit of graft but it was mostly getting my boys spreading and having the right materials plant etc, then i gave a lot of it up, went into minuscule developing, recession hit, still,not back to,those rates yet but not a million miles,away. Some sites I visited, they just said john we need polish prices.. The millionaires are laughing at us ,scrambling around for pennies whilst house prices are rising in London and the Home Counties.
Have a go on the gas now John :RpS_w00t: your getting stressed mate :RpS_wink:

Must admit jph10 who i poached of this site is an exellent spread with alot of potential if pushed in the right direction and well mannered ect but hes off at the min due to personal reasons. so ive had to get my un reliable, premier league syndrone plasterers back in for a while tutut.

make sure you dont use the WONG level.................:RpS_laugh:

:RpS_blushing: ................soz

Status
Not open for further replies.