Chimney Breast

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

islandview

Fellas

I have got a reskim coming up in a living room. The couple have just had there chimney swept so they can start using it for an open fire.

Is it ok to just skim as usual or should I use heat resistant plaster?

long as your not skimming INSIDE the breast youll be fine... just make sure they dont light the f'cker till its proper dried!

just watch out for wooden beads on the corners of the breast...
stick some thincoats over the top without rippin the old ones out and youll get a crackline all the way up the side of the bead...

Most of the time I will saw the beads out.but then it's a bag of bonding on top and you've got to watch out for the picture rail.the bottom line is does the customer know the extra work involved and cost I often ask myself.

They still crack even with scrim on as soon as they get a bit of moisture in they swell up and push the bead off it might not happen straight away but a couple of days in and they crack better off taking them out saves alot of bother.

Seen that so many times now, scrim over woodern corners, then it cracks.Tut tut.Just watch out for any soot before you skim, it its there sugar soap it off, sometimes bleeds through the reskim.

IT works quite well if you put a roughing bead over ball nose beads, then bond out and skim....I've not had it crack this way before....Obviously better to atke out if you can though!

I done my dads chimney breast a few weeks ago..i taped the old wood beads put thin coat beads on and skimmed it..no cracks as yet

I use the 90mm tape this will overlap over the wood bead 45mm each side then I butter my bead on. Before you say anything I mean butter the bead with multi LOL.

i thought if it was goin to be a working fire place then gypsum products were not adviseable as gypsum struggles to cope above 50 degrees, and you had to gobout 300 either side and 400 above with victas heat resistant plaster.
dnt be offended this is more of a question than a fact as this is what i was taught but everyone seems sure that gypsum will be fine. could someone clear this up for me.
surly the brickwork is goin to heat up around the fire thus heating the plaster and blowing it??

haha i saw this post when it first came up but it looked like it had enough replys to it so i diddnt actually read it.
as i said i might be wrong but this is what i was taught and that victas stuff is funny stuff to use it hangs around for ever and has to be right 1st time cos it dnt sand down for s**t it sets properly rock hard

Status
Not open for further replies.