Chimney breast with wood burner help!

Members online

DarthVader

Evening,
It’s my first post on here and I’m hoping someone will be able to give me some advice about plastering a chimney breast.

Just had a new wood burner installed after having the original open fire taken out and chimney breast opened up. We have discovered the chimney opening is arched and have kept this rather than putting a lintel in. Unfortunately the plasterer we had booked to come and finish off has been signed off so no chance of getting it sorted by him prior to Christmas. I’ve done some plastering in the room and I’m not professional by any means but the results are ok. I can’t get a plasterer now as I’ve tried loads and there’ll all booked doing stuff prior to Christmas. So I’m going to have a go at doing it. If it looks shocking I can always get it redone by a professional later.

So please can anyone advise me of the following;

1. Does the plaster have to be heat resistant for the chimney breast? The wood burner front sits about flush with the face of the chimney breast and is 250mm from the walls.

2. Can I use stop bead for the verticals on the opening or will the heat cause the metal to expand and crack the plaster?

3. For the arch I was going to make a forma from hardboard and use this to get a decent edge - is there any other ways apart free hand?

4. The arch is partial bare brick what is the best way to prep for plastering it and I’m I better knocking some of the other plasterabove to get a decent area for it to key in to?

5. What plaster would you recommend for the job?

Appreciate anyone who takes the time to read this and send a response. I’ve uploaded a few photos to give a better idea.

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 509
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 383
Your not spose to plasterboard the internal’s won’t meet the regs. If you plaster in skim it will crack with the heat even a render can do also do that. Best bet is a heat resistant board in metal stud but as you have got this fair I would recommend to tile with a heat resistant tile

The plasterboard needs to come off
Shame boarding looks neat
Not to mention skirting needs to go too
Hate when someone buts up to existing skirts

@DarthVader I’m requesting you just skim it with multi for a test case sake and post pics months on
That burner ain’t gonna kick out much heat anyway

Thanks for the replies. The board around the wood burner is non-combustible cement board installed by the HETAS installer and meets all the regs.

@Monkey Boy I’m tempted to give it a go to see what happens. Still not sure about the arch though.

You could use snips or a light saber and make a metal bead into a bendable bead
Or Make a form and seal it so it does not suck water away from the gear

Thanks for the replies. The board around the wood burner is non-combustible cement board installed by the HETAS installer and meets all the regs.

@Monkey Boy I’m tempted to give it a go to see what happens. Still not sure about the arch though.
I guessed as much which is why I didn't comment.

My cousin had his done awhile ago he dabbed heat resistant board on the inside and patched around the edges with s+c and had the whole lot tiled looked nice