Change of Plasterer, different methods, should i be worried

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrast

Hi there,

I had 1 plasterer re-skim my kitchen and utility room. He has finished that but has been called off to a massive job and told me he cannot get back to me for 4 weeks to do living room and hall way.

Kitchen had 1 artex wall and 3 old plastered walls and utility had all old plastered walls.

This plasterer pva'd the morning he did the respective rooms and skimmed on whilst tacky.

Having spoke to new plasterer last night he has requested that if i can could i layer the living room and hall way with a coat of pva today before he comes tomorrow.
I said no problem if it saves him some time but he will still need to pva tomorrow morning and leave it go tacky? He said no he wont do any more pva and the plaster will reignite the bond of the pva and give a nice smooth finish.

The living room is old existing plaster, the hall way is all artex!

I am a little worried so came here for re-assurance that 1 coat of pva 24 hours before plastering is ok or do i need to have a word with him in the morning and ask that he appies aother layer of pva until tacky?

If i pva hall way today and him and his guys dont get around to the hall way until say thur am will this single coat PVA be ok?

I cant afford to have it redone again so it has to be good this time!

Please advise, what i know about plastering you could write on the back of a postage stamp but everything i have read on the web suggests it always needs a fresh layer to be tacky before applying the skim?

Thanks

First of all I find it shocking that hes askin the customer to pva the walls and hes not doin this himself. No offence but I wouldnt trust a customer to coat the walls properly or ask them as its just not done!
Second in my opinion the walls still need to be pva'd the day of skimmin and plaster applied when tacky.

what are the implications for not doing a tacky pva layer before skimming and skimming straight onto the 24hr old dried pva?

as for the artex section - its a tricky debate on ere because so many do it but i would never pva and skim artex

Well,

I dont see the problem with skimming over dry PVA as it comes alive again when the plaster goes on it....

However I would still want to PVA myself

Artex I would use a bonding agent like Wickes bonding agent as this is a much better way than PVA but that is only personal opinion

Danny

As above, i've skimmed over dry pva with no comebacks. Has the artex in the hall been scraped back? If its a thick pattern it'll need flattening before you coat with pva or bonding agent (but thats's a whole other thread!)

Before i get too carried away ;) i suppose the job in question needs to be seen ,before further comment can be made ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

The artex has been scraped back and then sanded over so there are no raised edges.

He has done it this way all his career apparently and who am I to argue as I'm not a plasterer.

I just don't want it to start falling off or something silly in 6 months time.

What us making me more worried is the fact is a favour of a grind who gas put him to me so I have got a great price but apparently he is bringing 3 blokes with him and what I am paying him for job would nit even be minimum wage for his men for 4 days work so I'm getting myself into a state about the kind iv job I am going to get!

mrast said:
The artex has been scraped back and then sanded over so there are no raised edges.

He has done it this way all his career apparently and who am I to argue as I'm not a plasterer.

What us making me more worried is the fact is a favour of a grind who gas put him to me so I have got a great price but apparently he is bringing 3 blokes with him and what I am paying him for job would nit even be minimum wage for his men for 4 days work so I'm getting myself into a state about the kind iv job I am going to get!

POLISH?

irish_spread said:
mrast said:

POLISH?

No Irish I think he wants it skimmed using multi not the italian polished type. ::)

to be honest if you are unsure walk away!

There are a lot of good spreads on this forum ... post your job and see what some others quote

Danny

SLIPPY said:
irish_spread said:
mrast said:

POLISH?

No Irish I think he wants it skimmed using multi not the italian polished type. ::)

Polish, Irish, Italian, i dont fckin know

500 for job, reckons 3 1/2 to 4 days.

No he is English and it's his own company!

I think I will see how tomorrow goes and evaluate.

Going to be a sleepless night though I think.....

mrast said:
500 for job, reckons 3 1/2 to 4 days.

No he is English and it's his own company!

I think I will see how tomorrow goes and evaluate.

Going to be a sleepless night though I think.....

First of all I was worried by 4 men doing a living room. But 4 men taking 4 days to do a living room thats 16 man days. That works out an average of £31.25 a day. Something is not right with those figures! :-\

if i use bonding agent i skim it dry and if i have to ill skim PVA dry do it all the time no problem aslong the its sealed up dont see a problem,, when ever i got on tacky pva i find i have more problems

yeah oasis I have had some issues with PVA when I have gone on it tacky

Danny

PS dont forget to come back and tell us how you get on

Same as i gave up going over tacky PVA on reskims many years ago just causes problems always now two coats of PVA then when dry skim, on Artex i use Bonding Agent no partucular reason other than never had a problem with it.

First of all I was worried by 4 men doing a living room. But 4 men taking 4 days to do a living room thats 16 man days. That works out an average of £31.25 a day. Something is not right with those figures! :-\

Its probably a cash price

irish_spread said:

Its probably a cash price

Cash price!!! I forgot about the materials as well before so its probably about £20 a day!
Nice work if you can get it I suppose!!!

mrast said:
Hi there,

I had 1 plasterer re-skim my kitchen and utility room. He has finished that but has been called off to a massive job and told me he cannot get back to me for 4 weeks to do living room and hall way.

Kitchen had 1 artex wall and 3 old plastered walls and utility had all old plastered walls.

This plasterer pva'd the morning he did the respective rooms and skimmed on whilst tacky.

Having spoke to new plasterer last night he has requested that if i can could i layer the living room and hall way with a coat of pva today before he comes tomorrow.
I said no problem if it saves him some time but he will still need to pva tomorrow morning and leave it go tacky? He said no he wont do any more pva and the plaster will reignite the bond of the pva and give a nice smooth finish.

The living room is old existing plaster, the hall way is all artex!

I am a little worried so came here for re-assurance that 1 coat of pva 24 hours before plastering is ok or do i need to have a word with him in the morning and ask that he appies aother layer of pva until tacky?

If i pva hall way today and him and his guys dont get around to the hall way until say thur am will this single coat PVA be ok?

I cant afford to have it redone again so it has to be good this time!

Please advise, what i know about plastering you could write on the back of a postage stamp but everything i have read on the web suggests it always needs a fresh layer to be tacky before applying the skim?

Thanks

I wouldnt worry. Ur probably getting wot ur paying for

Bruce Willis said:
First of all I find it shocking that hes askin the customer to pva the walls and hes not doin this himself. No offence but I wouldnt trust a customer to coat the walls properly or ask them as its just not done!
Second in my opinion the walls still need to be pva'd the day of skimmin and plaster applied when tacky.
Totally agree

SPREADS said:
Bruce Willis said:
Totally agree

ME TOO

flynnyman said:
SPREADS said:
Bruce Willis said:
Totally agree

ME TOO

suppose i have to aswell, wots happenoing, im mangled :D

No they have 4walls and the Celling to do in the liv room (ceiling newly boarded, Walls old plaster)

then the hall way and stair well right the way upstairs which us artexed walls and ceiling, all scraped back then sanded over to make sure.

They said a little over 1 day for the liv room and upto 3 days for hallway but probably done in 2...

I have to pva the lot though prior to the arrival (done liv yesterday and will 2 coat the hallway today)

no i didnt do the plasterboard.

well 2 guys have just come so i guess its now or never.

here goes......

Status
Not open for further replies.