Cement board and dot and dab for stove fireplace recess lining

messy

Can primed cement board eg multi-pro xs be effectively glued to primed brick work using dry lining adhesive or should tile addy be used instead?
I would be using mapei primer G and gtec universal bonding compound

I have used stixall on cement board with success but it was only a small fireback

Iv fitted loads of wood burning stoves and I always use some form of cement board, Iv tried quite a few over the years the best Iv used is firmacell power panels

Carbon silicate is the best board out there but hard to come by. You dab them 1 of 2 ways, either screed the wall as a whole so as to try not to leave any voids when pushing the Panel back, this is hetas preferred way, to me though there's always going to be a void somewhere with nowhere for the air to escape as its heated up.
All I do is dot and dab using roughly twice the amount you would do on a normal wall, making sure to leave a couple of continuous gaps from bottom to top to let the hot air escape past the top of the board into the chimney.

I used powder tile adhesive. No sealer or anything. When dry I put a few screws in the board. Think you can used anything that ain't flammable but cement based products would be best I think