ceiling roses

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark1988

I am currently plastering 4 ceiling and installing coving. The guy now wants ceiling roses in all four rooms.

No idea how to do this

Any advice would be great cheers

Normally, you use adhesive and screws to the joists, i expect they are not very big ones as you mentioned coving. Are you running the lights through as well?

If you can put coving up you can put roses up mate.
Plenty of info on here :RpS_thumbup:

fancy rose wont go with coving, it will be the plain type or it will look wrong, you can pva he back of them too and stick with finish, dont pva, then stick with cove adhesive, but I would always use a mechanical fix, countersink the drill hole first and its easy to fill..

ok that's great guys. yeah im running a light through each one. and I agree that a fancy rose will not go with the 5 inch gyproc coving im using. but try and tell the customer that lol.. I am going to try and find a nice light one to fit. Was prob going to use drywall adhesive but thought this m ight not hold it. I heard someone say something about adding salt to make it set quicker

we fix our roses with ceramic tile adhesive, the suction of the plaster rose does not kill the tile adhesive.
find the joists , fit with two large headed screws , after you have marked, drilled and counter sunk the rose.

What kinda roses are you thinkin marsh????.
ceiling roses
.or
ceiling roses

I mean the cable hanging from a ceiling which you screw a light bulb in to.
that is a ceiling rose isn't it? I'm sure I remember being told that years ago by a sparky, it's because it looks like a rose hanging from the ceiling.

I mean the cable hanging from a ceiling which you screw a light bulb in to.
that is a ceiling rose isn't it? I'm sure I remember being told that years ago by a sparky, it's because it looks like a rose hanging from the ceiling.

It is indeed called a ceiling rose and the cable drop from it is called the pendant.

Wrong kind a rose marsh..:RpS_wink:

.plaster ceiling rose.:RpS_thumbup:

Last edited:
Ok , read the answers. Think we should go back to the beginning. Firstly all properly made ceiling roses will have lath(wood) in the casting (usually if you look at the back will look like an X.You need to locate the joists in the ceiling within the circle of the rose with a nail a nail and draw parallel lines following them extending out past the diameter so you can locate the correct positions. Mark the fixing laths on the perimeter of the rose and offer it to the ceiling (rotate it until the joist lines meet the lath lines.Drill four small pilot hoes in the plainest section near to the perimeter and a hole to pass the wires through.( make sure you dont bugger up the circuit that the wires are in when you thread them through).Wet or unibond the back of the rose and score the setting coat on the ceiling(stay inside the perimeter line) Mix some gyproc cove adhesive and bed up the rose matching the previously marked location points. (best if you have someone to hold it in place or a strut whilst you screw it in place) use non ferrous screws with wide heads to do this (brass etc). Stop in round the edges with the surplus adhesive and the screw holes. Job done cup of tea.

Status
Not open for further replies.