Ceiling question

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

filthy

Hi all, was attempting to scrape off high points on ceiling in preparation for sealing up. The damned scraper is just bouncing over the top of what I can only describe as internal roughcast. Was thinking how to get round this. Should I
A- Apply WBA to ceiling then x3 skim over that?
B- Seal and PVA ceiling then tight coat of bonding then skim x2 over that?
C- Seal and PVA ceiling as is then x3 skim as normal?
The stuff on the ceiling is rock hard and painted over, tried a floor scraper and a hand scraper that I filed a sharp edge and both are unable to get decent results. Please advise.

it depends on the finish wanted and budget, id take it down and reboard for best results, otherwise id bond it out but the trouble with this is it will only leave a smooth finish and not a flat one.

Thanks for the replies, I did toy with the idea of overboarding but decided to go for t'other option as I already have all the materials. Have applied WBA to ceiling and will be bonding then PVA then skimming. Gps said about smooth and not flat finish, that won't really be a problem, just hoping it don't all come down!

if they are willing to pay for it reboarding then do that if not depending on how thick the shite is either skim it or bonding it then skim

then s**t on the doorstep after youv done, it seems to be the in thing these days ;-)

if they are willing to pay for it reboarding then do that if not depending on how thick the shite is either skim it or bonding it then skim

then s**t on the doorstep after youv done, it seems to be the in thing these days ;-)

Sorry mate, i'm not sure i want to be shitting on my own doorstep (not sure what you mean anyway). The overboarding solution seems to be a common problemsolver and I can see now that I maybe should have gone down that road. However, i appied WBA to the ceiling last night and will be bonding then pvaing then skimming. I have been advised that once the bonding is up, just go straight on with the multi, is this sound advice? There are no time constraints as its my own home, so dont mind hanging about whilst PVA dries. Also are there any tips for applying bonding to ceiling, or is it pretty much same technique as multi. Only ask cos ive never used it on a ceiling before.

go on itll be fun :RpS_lol: its just an ongoing thing on here mate no harm ment

so someone has told you to go over it with bonding then while its still wet pva it then go straight over it with the multi? whos told you to do that?? i wouldnt do that mate just use the bonding then skim it tomoz morning after a brush/roll over with some pva, itll dry straight away will the pva so no waiting about

Have got the bonding on the ceiling now but every time I touch it, it still feels wet. Is it just a case of waiting? Says on the bag it dries in couple of hours, wondering if I mixed it too wet

If you keep playing with it it will fall off the same as a certain part of your body .As said before let it set then a couple of coats of PVA then skim nice and easy .:RpS_thumbup:

For a 1st attempt it don't look too shite! There are dark/light patches, wondered if that's cos I didn't apply enough WBA. Will maybe give it a light rub down then perhaps x2 sealing coats to be sure

Did you devil-float it?
No didn't do that, there's not much thickness to the bonding coat. So far its been up 4 days and it None of its fell down! Is rough as a badgers arse in places but hopefully will turn out ok once rubbed up and skimmed. Is it necessary to devil float bonding coat? For future ref

Status
Not open for further replies.