Ceiling cock-up

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sliemasteve

Irish-spread wants to see my special skills. I wouldn’t want to claim special skills but I have been very lucky with lesser skill and cock-ups.
The good news, in 1971 (I was 23) I bought a one-up, one–down, mid terrace house in Bradford for £125. The downside was a tenant and a rent of 10p per week. It had no windows or doors to the back wall and on the other side was a neighbour’s garage. Covering the roof were 6 ton of stone flags. The absence of a bathroom and a kitchen enabled a local authority grant with the stipulation that I had to replace the first floor ceiling which had an enormous bow in it.
The tenant was wildly excited at the prospect of acquiring 20[SUP]th[/SUP]-Century luxury, as she saw it after 40 years of using an outside loo and was happy to put up with my part-time working.
Being wage slaves a joiner friend and I started one Saturday morning moving the tenants bed and stuff downstairs, by the end of the day we had bagged-off the lath and plaster, tipped it and emptied a hundred years of junk from the loft space. That evening when we left the first floor was completely clear, ready for the removal of the ceiling joists and fitting and plastering of new ceiling the following weekend. We remarked on the cowboy bodgers who had tried to keep the ceiling from deflecting further by dropping struts from a roof purlin. I noticed that the purlin seemed to have bowed due to this extra load.
The following Wednesday the tenant rang to say she had moved out because it was cold and she had heard a bang in the night. When I got there the roof looked ok from the street so I went inside and upstairs. There was a view of the sky. The purlin had rotated and was lying on its side but still supported on the walls, on the floor were some broken ceiling joists and stone flags, the roof rafters to the mid-section of the roof had been pushed downwards and out over the eaves knocking the gutter off and five courses of stone walling. The gutter and falling stone had flattened the neighbours asbestos garage. Smaller stone roof flags at the ridge had slipped and slithered down the roof leaving a large opening.
This whole cock-up was due to my failure to understand the roof situation; the ceiling was holding up the roof. A roof purlin was partially rotten and cracked, to stop it deflecting further a cowboy bodger had placed 3 inch x 2 inch struts between the purlin and ceiling joists. Although an idea verging on madness it had worked while there was plaster lath in place since this spread the load across more ceiling joists.
My removal of the lath was the straw that broke the camels back. It resulted in those ceiling joists with attached struts being over-loaded permitting the purlin to move and rotate and then the partial collapse of the roof.

We might consider having a section for cock-ups. It allows this of us with modest skill to be humble in revealing our failures.

I remember in 1997 i cut a plasterboard wrong but it was a mistake i picked up the wrong piece ahh well.

i remember way way back in 2009 i once turned down the wrong street and I had to do a 3 point turn, not done it since ill tell ya:RpS_cool:

Irish-spread wants to see my special skills. I wouldn’t want to claim special skills but I have been very lucky with lesser skill and cock-ups.
The good news, in 1971 (I was 23) I bought a one-up, one–down, mid terrace house in Bradford for £125. The downside was a tenant and a rent of 10p per week. It had no windows or doors to the back wall and on the other side was a neighbour’s garage. Covering the roof were 6 ton of stone flags. The absence of a bathroom and a kitchen enabled a local authority grant with the stipulation that I had to replace the first floor ceiling which had an enormous bow in it.
The tenant was wildly excited at the prospect of acquiring 20[SUP]th[/SUP]-Century luxury, as she saw it after 40 years of using an outside loo and was happy to put up with my part-time working.
Being wage slaves a joiner friend and I started one Saturday morning moving the tenants bed and stuff downstairs, by the end of the day we had bagged-off the lath and plaster, tipped it and emptied a hundred years of junk from the loft space. That evening when we left the first floor was completely clear, ready for the removal of the ceiling joists and fitting and plastering of new ceiling the following weekend. We remarked on the cowboy bodgers who had tried to keep the ceiling from deflecting further by dropping struts from a roof purlin. I noticed that the purlin seemed to have bowed due to this extra load.
The following Wednesday the tenant rang to say she had moved out because it was cold and she had heard a bang in the night. When I got there the roof looked ok from the street so I went inside and upstairs. There was a view of the sky. The purlin had rotated and was lying on its side but still supported on the walls, on the floor were some broken ceiling joists and stone flags, the roof rafters to the mid-section of the roof had been pushed downwards and out over the eaves knocking the gutter off and five courses of stone walling. The gutter and falling stone had flattened the neighbours asbestos garage. Smaller stone roof flags at the ridge had slipped and slithered down the roof leaving a large opening.
This whole cock-up was due to my failure to understand the roof situation; the ceiling was holding up the roof. A roof purlin was partially rotten and cracked, to stop it deflecting further a cowboy bodger had placed 3 inch x 2 inch struts between the purlin and ceiling joists. Although an idea verging on madness it had worked while there was plaster lath in place since this spread the load across more ceiling joists.
My removal of the lath was the straw that broke the camels back. It resulted in those ceiling joists with attached struts being over-loaded permitting the purlin to move and rotate and then the partial collapse of the roof.

We might consider having a section for cock-ups. It allows this of us with modest skill to be humble in revealing our failures.

i thnk your mistake was over paying for that house in bradford, there only about £125 now.

rendered the gable end of a mansion once,took 6 scaffolders 2 days to put scaffold up, had 2 skips on job, 2 labourers and 1 other plasterer helping out,customer gave me 2,000 quid cheuqe right at start of job, with balance due at end. entire job went like a dream ,after i paid for all materials and scaffold,labour etc i cleared 3,000 quid for 3 days work, unfourtanetly i was so pleased i had a holiday/lived well etc etc it all soon went, what i should have done is put some away for a rainy day,and just basically been more sensible, my fault totally never had a job that paid so well since,and realistically never will,

rendered the gable end of a mansion once,took 6 scaffolders 2 days to put scaffold up, had 2 skips on job, 2 labourers and 1 other plasterer helping out,customer gave me 2,000 quid cheuqe right at start of job, with balance due at end. entire job went like a dream ,after i paid for all materials and scaffold,labour etc i cleared 3,000 quid for 3 days work, unfourtanetly i was so pleased i had a holiday/lived well etc etc it all soon went, what i should have done is put some away for a rainy day,and just basically been more sensible, my fault totally never had a job that paid so well since,and realistically never will,

you can always rely on hector for a feel good post

The biggest feck up I ever did was pebbledash the wrong front of a house.
This happend to the boy I used to work for, about 14 months ago. I was meant to do a house for him on site and he said whatever you do, make sure you don't use the wrong chips(he had 2 ton of derby and 2 ton of pea gravel) delivered. I got called to another job so He done all the front and a gable end in one monster day, I turned up at 6 to take the labourer home and to find out he used the wrong chips! Facing idiot lol

This happend to the boy I used to work for, about 14 months ago. I was meant to do a house for him on site and he said whatever you do, make sure you don't use the wrong chips(he had 2 ton of derby and 2 ton of pea gravel) delivered. I got called to another job so He done all the front and a gable end in one monster day, I turned up at 6 to take the labourer home and to find out he used the wrong chips! Facing idiot lol

I still have nightmares 30 yrs on LOL.

you can always rely on hector for a feel good post

owls coming down for a week to helmsley in august , we should meet up for apint or three,then could tell you more laugh a minute stories, all the best hector, remember put it on your calender now hector in helmsley in august ,clear the decks,go for pint or three.

and telling us was another :RpS_thumbup:

Haha, I was about eight years old with an upset stomach and still wet behind the ears.

I've since learned never to push on a 50/50!

EDIT: actually maybe I should put this in the useful tips section.

That was a long post mate, i think you are bored in Malta LOL

Haha, I was about eight years old with an upset stomach and still wet behind the ears.

I've since learned never to push on a 50/50!

EDIT: actually maybe I should put this in the useful tips section.

But Danny, as this forum is an extension of the playground you just know that someone will now call you 'Brown legs' or sing 'DannyMac had a cack' or something equally childish. You need to be more careful mate :-0

But Danny, as this forum is an extension of the playground you just know that someone will now call you 'Brown legs' or sing 'DannyMac had a cack' or something equally childish. You need to be more careful mate :-0

LOL just words mate.:RpS_laugh:

youd make the chuckle brothers suicidal hector
Helmsley is Ryedale way, its a fair way from me over an hour, so ill have to pass on your offer.

did the people in the house just sit there watching jezza while you was outside throwing little stones all over the shop?

Bored in France then:RpS_biggrin:

Thank your for you interest. Elation is nearer the mark. Spent a week doing a planning application which I could have done in a day but for my crappy French. Now finished so celebrating with the light relief of posting in the madhouse. What I particularly like about this site is that there is no known way to anticipate the route by which abuse will be heaped on the contributors. .

Thank your for you interest. Elation is nearer the mark. Spent a week doing a planning application which I could have done in a day but for my crappy French. Now finished so celebrating with the light relief of posting in the madhouse. What I particularly like about this site is that there is no known way to anticipate the route by which abuse will be heaped on the contributors. .
Well i for one am glad you stuck around xxx

" What I particularly like about this site is that there is no known way to anticipate the route by which abuse will be heaped on the contributors. . "

Brilliant and so true lol

youd make the chuckle brothers suicidal hector
Helmsley is Ryedale way, its a fair way from me over an hour, so ill have to pass on your offer.

excellent owls always enjoy the gentle banter on this forum , also be in york second week in august, if youre passing nearer the time get in touch all the best hector

Don't think you'll ever hear those words directed you're way mate lol

Yes you will. This isn't a forum where the pleasantries of life are generally thrown about. In a fairer world I would have posted Flynnyman a thank you hios post on the dewalt laser level. The only reason why I don't have one is that Amazon won't deliver it to France. And up yours Spunky

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.