Ceiling advice

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stookie

Hi guys, I am just about to undertake a ceiling (my own) bigger than any I have done on my own before- about 20ft by 15ft. it is a long time since I have done any plastering, I trained about 20 years as one but then went into other things. My question is this, it is going to be plasterboarded and I know I aint the fastest so would I be better doing this ceiling in 3 thirds and feathering each part across or 2 halves. It will be 2 coated as well. I guess I am asking if you guys tackle these in one go or in sections? thanks in advance.

Get it nice and ready, mix up two big buckets, bang it on flatten, mix a bucket ,second coat it, flatten it, wait till it pulls trowel again, I would not break up such a small ceiling,,

prepare yourself for some sarcasm Stookie. Personally I would never break a ceiling of any size, If it was too big then get extra hands on it . If you are doing it yourself then prep well, have all your water ready and give yourself a clear run at the ceiling. dont over mix your gear

Hi Stookie

As Olican stated, don't put a ceiling on in sections. If you are unsure about keeping up with it, give it a few coats of pva, allowing the first coat to dry completely first, and second coat slightly tacky before skimming (3 to 1 water to pva). As you are probably aware this is not essential as plasterboard is treated to receive finishing plaster but it will slow setting times considerably thus giving you plenty of trowel time. :RpS_thumbup:

cheers, I might add that I forgot the word 'ago' in the opening post, so when I trained, so it was 20 years ago!

Have a decent scaffold ready or stilts , don't pva the board unless its old or been up ages, you can bang on as a rolling gauge if that helps, ie bang on half flatten, second coat, bang on second half flatten,flatten first half again,second coat second half ,flatten, with multi you will Have płatny Of time. Ps speed Skim would be helpful for you

Thanks to advice on here I got both ceilings done and both looked really smart. I got some builders trestles and they made the difference. I threw one half on, then my friend mixed up the other half whilst I took the fat off. I threw the second on then floated both halves into each other, then did the same again for the second coat. Cheers for the advice guys, it helped a lot.

God bless you, Stookie. You're a good man. Glad it worked out. Most don't bother coming back to thank and update TPF. :RpS_thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.