can you remember when everyone had a lad/labourer!!!

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

zombie

Private Member
Just been thinking earlier only 15yrs in but when I first started just about every spread I knew even on domestics used to have a young lad as a grunt!!!

im not going crazy am I ????????????????

don't know of anyone now that still has a lad unless part of a gang/site set up!!!!

anyone still have a lad with em then?????

and yes I am realy booooooored!!!:RpS_blushing:

Now then now then,great to have a willing lad.

john...you Hollywood plasterers have a fookin entourage never mind a lad!!!

rumour has it you've got your own dressing room with a bg shiney star on it within your van with all your own creams and medications lined up for all your ailments...

even have your own music played for you as you walk into the job like a boxer going into the ring!!!! lol

rumour has it you've got your own dressing room with a bg shiney star on it within your van with all your own creams and medications lined up for all your ailments...

even have your own music played for you as you walk into the job like a boxer going into the ring!!!! lol
Ah going into the ring ..not enough room for my meds need extra van,we use the make ups mans van

Was thinking same thing last week.Nobody I know on site has a labourer anymore. Shows how the prices are way behind.You get nothing for prep anymore, nothing for extra height, nothing for detail and there's no money on the job for labourer.We were all better off 20 years ago.

years back everyone just expected you to charge for a labourer now when you tell them its x amount for you and x amount for the lab half of them look at you like your trying to con them by having a lab with you

I made the mistake of advertising for a labourer to help me on a job big/room ceiling up 3 flights of stairs messaged me on facebook give a chance all he had to do was knock up for me went to check on him was doing it all wrong said he'd done it said he couldn't get the mixer in was just stirring the surface, I showed him and got there in the end now reckons he's on £90 a day just knocking up

Ours is 72 and works like a 20 year old how I miss the old days when lads wanted to earn their money ,not expect £80 just for TURNING UP

labour only works if u have a two and one gang and price work have had lots off good lads over the years but the wernt good when the came to me i see a lot of plasters dont put the time in to showing them there job . the exspect them to know every thing from the start i never let them stand around allways find little jobs for them teach them how to put up a beed or do a bit of tacking or puting on skrim . which helps to puch on the job and make good cleaners of of them

labour only works if u have a two and one gang and price work have had lots off good lads over the years but the wernt good when the came to me i see a lot of plasters dont put the time in to showing them there job . the exspect them to know every thing from the start i never let them stand around allways find little jobs for them teach them how to put up a beed or do a bit of tacking or puting on skrim . which helps to puch on the job and make good cleaners of of them
Some can't be taught though, I used t have great ones,they became spreads,now they can't learn to clean.

couldnt trust my last lad to sit on the toilet the right way round , and the cap it all tried to sue me for a bad back , wont be having anymore lads .

I had a lad with me when I was doing insurance work. Couple of years older than me. Hed worked with the lad I was subbing to nearly as long as I was with my old boss yet he was still earnings £40-50 a day labouring. He could trowel up but struggled to put on. Couldn't float or dab. Struggled to cut plasterboard. Always said he wanted to learn more but never took the initiative to pick up tools and try.

couldnt trust my last lad to sit on the toilet the right way round , and the cap it all tried to sue me for a bad back , wont be having anymore lads .
Suing ,fn hell,that's taking the biscuit,help some one out and they bite you.

it makes it easier now with electric drill mixers, u needed a labourer years ago cus it was hard work mixing with a stick and a plunger,:)

Suing ,fn hell,that's taking the biscuit,help some one out and they bite you.

yes , he had a bad back as a kid who crashed his moto x bike , but he done it working weekends for someone else , but he had legal aid , and my solicitor was 80 an hour , and when they say , it could cost 25k to go to court and if i lose the lad can get my house , it was a very worrying time al right .

Screwing! Had it quite a few times. Helping lads out showing them the ropes before you know it, stabbing you in the back or worse still tryn to nick your ******* work!

I had a labourer then I swapped him for a mega mixer, best money I've ever spent ,it also got rid of my 6 pack too

Just been thinking earlier only 15yrs in but when I first started just about every spread I knew even on domestics used to have a young lad as a grunt!!!

QUOTE]

when i first started every craftsmen had an apprentice. but we where 15 years of age and only cost a few pounds a week. i got £2.14d, a man would earn £20.00 per week.
today they do not leave school to 16 they take an other year to find a job and at 18 want full pay and cannot produce anything.

nice 1 :RpS_thumbsup::RpS_lol:----------------- in the blue van weighing in at --------------undefeated in domestic / commercial--- big john :RpS_lol:

a good labour is worth they weight in gold - we had a lad that started on a YTS, the government paid him £25 we brassed him up - mixing sand/cement for rendering - then mixing cullamix for Tyrolean (council houses and pit houses) a 2 year contract, he stopped with us years then moved on :RpS_thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.