Can you PVA and Skim over a Painted Wall ?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

RizzaB

Hi,

We have a painted wall which needs to be skimmed.
Just wondering if we need to remove the paint first
or can it just be pva'd and skimmed over with multi-
finish?

It really depends if the wall is just painted with emulsion then pva should be fine although sometimes I've found the paint can peel and it goes like chewing gum witch is a pain in the arse. If the surface is really smooth Then your better getting a tub of thistle bondit . It will set you back prob about £50 for the tub then skim the wall

It really depends if the wall is just painted with emulsion then pva should be fine although sometimes I've found the paint can peel and it goes like chewing gum witch is a pain in the arse. If the surface is really smooth Then your better getting a tub of thistle bondit . It will set you back prob about £50 for the tub then skim the wall

Likewise :)

I got told to make a key with ur claw hammer and put indentations in the wall. Then pva as normal. This was all before blue grit or thistle bond it of course. Hope that helps

Pva is still a great product except when there has been paste left on from the paper removal which betakontakt and micro to an extent dont seem to react with. IMO ( registered trademark!)
Whwt did you use on that distemper job @johniosaif in the end? I recommended betekontakt neat straight on but others may have said stabalising solution first then maybe pva or a gritted product?

Pva is still a great product except when there has been paste left on from the paper removal which betakontakt and micro to an extent dont seem to react with. IMO ( registered trademark!)
Whwt did you use on that distemper job @johniosaif in the end? I recommended betekontakt neat straight on but others may have said stabalising solution first then maybe pva or a gritted product?
I always end up scraping distemper , been meaning to use stabiliser but never have yet

It's interesting what methods people use. I've gone over all of the above probably, except for the scutch hammer. (Only used that outside or on the missus.) also gone over PVA with sand in it but I feel as long as the paints sound then all it needs is a tacky coat of PVA and then it's good to skim. Then again I may have left a trail of walls slumped on people's floors.

Status
Not open for further replies.