Can I rip this ceiling down? asbestos?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thegift

Hi guys I'm a plumber by trade and recently brought a new house.

Had a full rewire done and just finished putting in a new central heating and now about to start on the bathroom.

Plan to gut the whole bathroom and redo it all. Want to remove the artex celing down as it has been double boarded over want to removed the artex layer and overboard the original.

we had the sparks in to do a full rewire and can see from the pics below what it looks like but not sure if this is asbestos? Would I be able to rip it down?

Also plan on fitting led spot lights what would be the easiest way to do this?

ta!

You can get it tested for asbestos, google online for a company, its £24 for the test, better to be safe tHan a plumber

Get yourself a decent respirator with filters on, if it was mine id just get it down and wouldn't stew on it to much, also if your gutting the whole bathroom why over-board the original ? just have the lot out mate and start from scratch. To much gayness nowadays regarding Artex.

Get yourself a decent respirator with filters on, if it was mine id just get it down and wouldn't stew on it to much, also if your gutting the whole bathroom why over-board the original ? just have the lot out mate and start from scratch. To much gayness nowadays regarding Artex.
A very enlightened viewpoint, bit 70s but hey...

Exactly my thinking. Rip it down with a good mask on... possibly a teletubby suit. Bag it up and reboard as new. Jobs a goodun

i would overboard the ceiling using long screws. if you take both ceilings down you will have the insulation from the loft down on top of you and it is a filthy job.

I always only advise customers that I can overboard if its only 1 skin if already overboard I always say it will have to come down.

Dunno where I got that from though I have just made up my own spec??? dunno???:RpS_unsure:

ps. I know its his own house just saying like

First floor ceilings shouldn't really be overboarded at all. Once is just about OK, but twice is a no no. The joist holding the ceiling up are much smaller on the first floor so they're unable to take the weight and will bow over time and depending on the amount of junk in the loft, can give way.

Even if it's just two 8x4s to cover it there's already over 100kgs hanging off joists only designed for 50kgs. Adding another layer on that and you're putting three times the expected weight onto the joists (plus any junk in the loft).

Get it tested .. So you kno if it's positive or not..

Can't believe how many have said just rip it down.... Bad practice

Ok sayin yea so it it will be years before it shows blah blah blah you gonna tell that to the young kids that may be in the house when there in there 20's...

Do it the proper way..

double boarding is becoming popular on high spec housing and school buildings for its extra u values.

Double boarding is popular on refurb work even when there's 3 layers already on ! That was for the council aswell if u said too much weight needs ripping down they would shrug their shoulders and go it will be ok it's bin given the go ahead! By 2090 the ceiling height will be 4 ft!

It's really all the same just a different name

double boarding is becoming popular on high spec housing and school buildings for its extra u values.

Almost right, it's popular because it's cheaper than doing it properly. There is a marginal increase in the insulation, but no where near what can be achieved using insulated board. However that's four or five times the price so .........

Status
Not open for further replies.