Can anyone help?? Plastering question...

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexsav

Hi,

I have an annexe on my house which I have stripped the render off while I wait for a plasterer to come and re-render it (we have done some layout changes inside). The plasterer came and said that there were holes in the blocks (which is true) and that it would need some sort of mesh, or sheets of something put over which he would then render onto..

He wanted a days £ for putting these sheets up, which seems a bit of a waste as anyone can just drill wire into a wall..

Does anyone know what these sheets are called (it was a 3 letter abbreviation), he said he could get them on trade for about £6 a sheet??

Any help much appreciated because then I can buy them this weekend and pop them up.

Cheers.

Alex.

its EML mate. comes in sheets of 8foot by 2 foot. available from most builders merchants and probably b&q wickes etc

steve cov said:
its EML mate. comes in sheets of 8foot by 2 foot. available from most builders merchants and probably b&q wickes etc

Spot on, cheers mate, i appreciate that. Is that what it normally costs?? About £6 a sheet??

id put some felt or dpc behind the wire first , also there is a correct way off putting the wire on , if you carefully and slow rub the palm up and down the wire one way will feel rough and one way will fell smooth , put wire onto the wall to the rough side up and that is the correct way around for the wire ;)

church said:
id put some felt or dpc behind the wire first , also there is a correct way off putting the wire on , if you carefully and slow rub the palm up and down the wire one way will feel rough and one way will fell smooth , put wire onto the wall to the rough side up and that is the correct way around for the wire ;)

when you say rough side up, is one side rough and one smooth, so like foil one is shiny and one is dull??

Yeah , lay the wire one the floor carefully rub the palm of your up & down the wire from , one way will feel rough , put it on the wall so its side rough up , im crap at explaining things but i hope you understand ?

church said:
Yeah , lay the wire one the floor carefully rub the palm of your up & down the wire from , one way will feel rough , put it on the wall so its side rough up , im crap at explaining things but i hope you understand ?

I think i know what you mean, so its one way up is rough rather than one side?? So when i put it on the wall and run my hounds down it, it should feel rough, running my hands down from top to bottom??

Whats this about building paper, i was just going to drill it onto the wall with nothing behind it!! What does that do??

building paper

A heavy, relatively cheap, durable paper, such as asphalt paper, used in building construction, esp. in frame construction, to improve thermal insulation and weather protection and to act as a vapor barrier.

if you've got a buildbase builders merchants near you they sell it. i'm sure others do aswell. you basically put it behind the mesh.

rub your hand from the bottom to the top and it will feel rough , the saying is rough up smooth down , get me ?

church said:
rub your hand from the bottom to the top and it will feel rough , the saying is rough up smooth down , get me ?

Ahhhh I see, that makes sense... And the rolls are long and thin are they?? Do you have to cover the whole building??

You are better off buying a sheet of eml 8x2 and cutting it to size to cover the holes in the wall with a good overlap , i take it by what your plasterer said the whole wall doesn't need doing just the holes .

church said:
You are better off buying a sheet of eml 8x2 and cutting it to size to cover the holes in the wall with a good overlap , i take it by what your plasterer said the whole wall doesn't need doing just the holes .

Well the problem is there are quite a few holes and the blocks are stupidly thin... although there is a cavity then the bricks inside are fine... the block on the outside must only be about 1.5inch thick!! Quite a lot came off!!

WIth the paper do you just shove it in the holes??

i'm confused as to what the problem is now. is it cracks, or has the render come off in parts or are there holes through to the cavity?

steve cov said:
i'm confused as to what the problem is now. is it cracks, or has the render come off in parts or are there holes through to the cavity?

The render is all off, and there are holes through to the cavity..

well they need filling. preferably with blocks but depending on the size, sand and cement or expanding foam. then they need mesh over them. cut it 6 to 8 inches over size. fix it to the blocks using screws and plugs. then he can render it.

steve cov said:
well they need filling. preferably with blocks but depending on the size, sand and cement or expanding foam. then they need mesh over them. cut it 6 to 8 inches over size. fix it to the blocks using screws and plugs. then he can render it.

Lovely that was the plan so thats really good. Although i was going to wire the whole thing!!

Thanks a lot for all your help, this has been really good! Ill be back!

theres nothing wrong with EML'd the lot but it might be un necessary. if there are any cracks or anything like that then do them aswell.

Just goes to show that ANYONE CAN SCREW WIRE INTO A WALL is not the case is it. There more to it than meets the eye. Thats why you called a plasterer in, in the first place.
Hate in when joe public think they can do it coz its easy. ::)

you can buy stainless EML also depending on how much weathering your wall is going to take this is more expensive than standard. and church is right about fixing it the right way, the little hoops work like a grab so face up to work against the gravity of the mud

Status
Not open for further replies.