can anyone advise?

stu62

Hi,
I have been stripping wallpaper in a bedroom. The house is ex local authority, built just after Works War Two. The wall paper has come off fairly easily. Underneath there is a pinkish substance covering the plaster. It's quite hard to scrape off, but if you put the steamer on it for a while, it softens and can be scraped off in a pinkish goo (a bit like Germoline). I don't know what it is - some sort of paint or residue from wallpaper paste or something else, nor whether it poses any health hazards!
Any ideas would be appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_20170329_181524.jpg
    IMG_20170329_181524.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 341
  • IMG_20170329_181514.jpg
    IMG_20170329_181514.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 378
Hi,
I have been stripping wallpaper in a bedroom. The house is ex local authority, built just after Works War Two. The wall paper has come off fairly easily. Underneath there is a pinkish substance covering the plaster. It's quite hard to scrape off, but if you put the steamer on it for a while, it softens and can be scraped off in a pinkish goo (a bit like Germoline). I don't know what it is - some sort of paint or residue from wallpaper paste or something else, nor whether it poses any health hazards!
Any ideas would be appreciated

im sure it wont harm you or your family.
strip it and get a spread to fix it.
im sure its not too expensive.

Hi,
Thanks for the replies
I'm afraid I'm not always sure of the terminology!
When you say 'spread' to fix it, is this the same as 'pre grit'?

Can I just clarify at bit more.
Is the pinky brown stuff that turns to sludge a 'pre grit' as well? And should we continue to take this off rather than try to paint or paper on top of it?
And, would we need to put 'pre-grit' on top of the plaster to be able to paint/paper?

Sorry if these questions seem rather obvious, I don't know much about it :)

As Jess said pre grit if your going to plaster over it? Might be worth getting a professional plasterer round to give you a quote? Would be done a lot quicker to a class standard then all you have to do is decorate?

Hi,
Thanks for the replies
I'm afraid I'm not always sure of the terminology!
When you say 'spread' to fix it, is this the same as 'pre grit'?

Can I just clarify at bit more.
Is the pinky brown stuff that turns to sludge a 'pre grit' as well? And should we continue to take this off rather than try to paint or paper on top of it?
And, would we need to put 'pre-grit' on top of the plaster to be able to paint/paper?

Sorry if these questions seem rather obvious, I don't know much about it :)
It is okay. He means a spread. A term for a plasterer like a spark for electrician or chippy for joiner/carpenter. He means get a plasterer to plaster over it and "fix it". The pre grit is a special preparation for problem walls prior to plastering over:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Con...Febond+Blue+Grit+Plaster+Bonding+Agent/p84905

You don't say if you are plastering or not? I would recommend getting a plasterer local to you. If you are not getting a plasterer mabe ask on a decorating board? The pictures show that the walls have been skimmed in the near past. To me it sounds like a pink emulsion and you are turning it to the "sludge" you mention when trying to steam it off. So paper over it or get a plasterer.

Hi,
What we want to do is simply paint over the plaster with emulsion, so what I need to know is if I could/should simply paint on top of the pink stuff or if I need to steam this and remove it before painting (and would I then need to prepare the bare plaster with anything before painting.

If painting's not possible, then we'll put up lining paper, so I have the same questions really: could we simply put lining paper over the pink stuff or should we take it off before putting up the lining paper (and would the bare plaster need preparing for lining paper)?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi,
What we want to do is simply paint over the plaster with emulsion, so what I need to know is if I could/should simply paint on top of the pink stuff or if I need to steam this and remove it before painting (and would I then need to prepare the bare plaster with anything before painting.

If painting's not possible, then we'll put up lining paper, so I have the same questions really: could we simply put lining paper over the pink stuff or should we take it off before putting up the lining paper (and would the bare plaster need preparing for lining paper)?
Have you not read the advice you have received above? If you cannot take that on board then stick your head in a pile of s**t till something clicks in your head

Have you not read the advice you have received above? If you cannot take that on board then stick your head in a pile of s**t till something clicks in your head
Good reply. You have beat me to it. I've just read the reply and thought how rude and ungrateful it is. He hasn't thanked anyone who offered advice or taken it into account.

Hmm,
I won't bother getting into some sort of tit-for-tat slanging match.
I'll just say that I thought I had thanked people for their replies and if I didn't then I'd apologize for that :) :)
I'm not a plasterer, so it's quite possible I haven't understood something that seemed clear to the person who gave the advice. It's also quite easy to read something and miss information, especially if it's a difficult topic and what's written seems complicated.
I would say, though, that if I did stick my head in a pile of s**t, I'm guessing it would be even harder for me to make sense of what anyone writes.

Hmm,
I won't bother getting into some sort of tit-for-tat slanging match.
I'll just say that I thought I had thanked people for their replies and if I didn't then I'd apologize for that :) :)
I'm not a plasterer, so it's quite possible I haven't understood something that seemed clear to the person who gave the advice. It's also quite easy to read something and miss information, especially if it's a difficult topic and what's written seems complicated.
I would say, though, that if I did stick my head in a pile of s**t, I'm guessing it would be even harder for me to make sense of what anyone writes.
Don't stick your head in s**t. Stick around instead as at least you have a sense of humour (y)

Hi,

Sounds like a painting forum is the best place for you mate. Before it's too late!!!