Caged stone walls

Members online

Vincey

Private Member
Anyone used these thinking about using some at my own house they look simple enough and quite modern not sure of a cost to buy

91B05AB5-67F5-474A-8F19-BFAB5CC65A5B.jpeg

Tbf it wasn’t the best picture I’ll take some better ones in a bit it’s next door to where I’m working

Sometimes I seen these mixed together with rendered blocks and oak stained wood and together they looked brilliant

Vincent they are the ugliest wall I have ever seen, use some nice bricks, you can’t beat good brick work well pointed.
Do agree problem I have is getting someone good to do the work
Times have changed and there isn’t the guys out there no more

Do agree problem I have is getting someone good to do the work
Times have changed and there isn’t the guys out there no more
I know what you are saying, maybe it’s easier for me being an old git and knowing older tradesmen that know what they are doing

I know what you are saying, maybe it’s easier for me being an old git and knowing older tradesmen that know what they are doing
It’s exactly that mate round here I know three old school who I would of loved to of got involved but they all over retirement age now and have no one round here that’s replaced them I did meet a gang of three who did some beautiful work restoring old walls on a job last year I asked them to take a look but tbh get the feeling it’s to far for them to travel which is fair enough but things are different now , I even thinking sod it I’ll sort the wall myself and take time off to do it but I am slow with bricks

Vincey you know those days when you have a good idea and then tell your mates about it...........then you realise you should have kept your mouth shut because it was a c**tish idea............................It was the first Thursday in January.

They look crap and I think they are only used as barriers for illegal parking or for stopping land moving.

I thought you did a brick laying course Peter ? Just build with random stone it's easier than you think. The baskets are expensive iand difficult to place if you buy pre filled and it takes a while to set the stone correctly if you fill them your self.

I thought you did a brick laying course Peter ? Just build with random stone it's easier than you think. The baskets are expensive iand difficult to place if you buy pre filled and it takes a while to set the stone correctly if you fill them your self.
Tbh mate I really want to do it but admit it’s probably past my skill level but i might end up doing if can’t get anyone here’s the wall
C84DA3B3-3951-4910-87F9-29D3A5309A09.jpeg

Tbh mate I really want to do it but admit it’s probably past my skill level but i might end up doing if can’t get anyone here’s the wall
View attachment 30536
If the wall is solid at the base with only a few course at the top loose in places i would just repair where require and then 're point it all. Yes it will eat up a bit time but that looks a canny wall. But depends on what look your going for in the garden i suppose.

Nice wall Vincent rake the old pointing out especially the sand and cement and repoint with Lime and Sand, will look cracking when done but not in a cracked up falling down way
It’s leaning over from seventh course up from bottom is my issue mate , can’t see so much from picture if you zoom upto the end can see what i mean

It’s leaning over from seventh course up from bottom is my issue mate , can’t see so much from picture if you zoom upto the end can see what i mean
I know you said you would be to slow but it would be worth you taking it down and rebuilding in sand and lime would look good and be pretty bloody satisfying for you

I would consider using them if I had the right job or house where they would suit. Think they can look great. But the length of your wall I think it would need breaking up or would look too much like a motorway embankment. Be bloody expensive too, and whatever you do its gonna be hard graft.. might be talking shxt, but what about placing them against existing wall to brace it half way up then repointing top half, could put some heli bars at bottom and anchor into cage. Could also break top half up with some cedar cladding, cast steps running down side of it , and top of with resin bound gravel, red/brown colour. Slap some plants on it, jobs a gooden. Side thought could drop a section creating seat area. But I suppose if pointing on other side of wall gone then that will need doing or rendering.
Or give it bollox and stick chain link up.