Buying my first set of gear, any thoughts?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtown

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can give me some ideas on best trowels and all starting bits to buy to get started.

Hawks, do they need to be stainless steel?

Gold or stainless steel marshaltown trowels?

Any other thoughts please let me know, I'm sure I'll have lots more questions.

Many Thanks

general of thumb is spend as much as you can afford as they will last.
buy a decent mega mixer.marshall town for tools for me,wooden handle.
decent hammer, splash brushes,decent set of rules etc
youll get a variety of opinions on this as most folk are different,its just down to preference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guess it depends if you are using kit for everyday use or just odd jobbing - you say your first set of gear so its not clear.

I would say marshalltown regardless if youre full time spread or eager enthusiast like me.. either way stainless steel trowels n hawks are easy to clean and wont rust, i have normal bucket and gauging trowels and they look like crap in no time if theyre not cleaned and dried asap.. which aint always easy if youre busy doing other stuff... plastering for instance.

This is what i bought myself as my first set of gear to get started for work at home

Marshalltown SS 14" Durasoft Permashape Trowel
Marshalltown SS 13.5x13.5" Hawk
1300watt mixer
Any old gauging and bucket trowel - but wanna replace for Stainless
500watt Halogen Lamp - id get a bigger better light if i was doing this more often but it suits for a ceiling or wall at a time
2 Gorrila Tubs, a normal bucket, and a tall mixing bucket
Spot stand - for bigger jobs where you have the space to put it, for now i go straight from gorilla tub to hawk
Faithfull aviation snips for beads n s**t
Faithfull Feather Edge - 72"
2" brush for brushing in me corners - i use a febreeze bottle or likewise for spraying when wet trowelling
Marshalltown Plasterboard Rasp & Padsaw
Marsalltown Corner Trowel - i try to avoid wet to wet walls but have it if needed or feeling adventurous/over confident :eek:)
Board Props - 2.3m

Thats about it, that was pretty much all i needed to start doing stuff on my house, but you will find your own way like everyone else. Like i said, if youre planning on doing plastering as your main job you will probably want a lot of other stuff. Also if you were going to be a spread full time you probably wouldnt be needing to ask, cos you would already know whats needed. Good luck.

ha bloody mods are a bit keen on here,power crazy.
thought they might not be anyone around through day on here.

ha bloody mods are a bit keen on here,power crazy.
thought they might not be anyone around through day on here.

I am and i do the day shift and plaster through the night lol Its nothing about power crazy your getting mixed up with a different forum you used to post on xxxx

If i was you son id keep my eyes on Ebay,there have been numerous sets of tool (used) by plasters going out of business.
Youe best to by second hand cus.
1.if ur lucky there be worn in enough.
2.cheaper save you money.
3.they have had there depreciation so if it dont work out for you then youve lost nothing when you come to sell em again.

Be patient and set will be on ebay soon for sure.

buy the best trowel you can always - marshalltown are spot on if you need to save money elsewhere then do but not on your trowel.

yep i know church i was on about flynnyman editing my post

oh big bud you mean, he might have some crazy views but hes one of the best old school plasteres you will ever meet.

yep i know church i was on about flynnyman editing my post

oh big bud you mean, he might have some crazy views but hes one of the best old school plasteres you will ever meet.

Yep thats right crazy views and to be honest i dont think i will be meeting him and lets remember this is the guy who was doing courses in his garage so whats your opinion on the courses he was running?

no one has mentioned spirit levels i think? ya need a 2ft and maybe a 1800mm they don't come cheap, try wicks or tool station.
Wicks also do a cheap straight 6ft edge, do ya self a fav and get 2 and cut one down, so you have a 4ft and a 2ft.

If i was you i would try out a few local independent tool shops and see how helpful they are with advice etc, then make a list and go back and haggle for a cash deal, do it right and you will save a few quid.

Last of all don't make the mistake that cos its got a "brand" name to it means its the dogs bowlocks Eg Dewalt, ya paying for a brand half the time and its not always worth it! i use m-town trowels half the time but i also still love to use my tyzak which is still my fav.
Also try Refina web site you can pick up some good deals on there!
O yeah you will need a hop-up too

back on topic, i wouldnt agree with that i made the mistake of buying cheap levels.
then i wised up and bought a stabila set with a 40 inch girder level had it ever since, there about 90 quid but worth every penny,but i think you can get them on ebay cheaper than that.

back on topic, i wouldnt agree with that i made the mistake of buying cheap levels.
then i wised up and bought a stabila set with a 40 inch girder level had it ever since, there about 90 quid but worth every penny,but i think you can get them on ebay cheaper than that.
Yep Stabila are the best.the Stanley Pro ones are ok and not too dear. I certainly wouldn't go for cheap ones.
A Stanley knife may be useful too,I prefer the Titan or Fatmax.

plasterers fone number ,if your asking wot tools you need ...might come in handy .....id give you mine but im using me mobile as a margin trowel apart from that iam rough as fooq

I got loads of levels but i bought a Magnesum? somot like that from bandq its takes a right pasting,and still reads true levels.Mid range good level i would recommend them.

Status
Not open for further replies.