Burnt my first bridge today

Status
Not open for further replies.

beddy

i'm not normally one for burning bridges but it happened today. We do a bit for a property developer of the asian persuasion. in the last 6 months we've done 2 full house reskims and a couple of smaller jobs for him. hes my mates contact so i never deal with the money, just get my day rate off my mate. today we started a large dining room and kitchen was meant to be a basic strip walls and ceiling and skim and over skim kitchen around units. this was under the basis that the walls were sound once stripped even though i told him before hand you could tell they werent.

anyway. started stripping today. straight away huge chunks of wall were coming away. phoned him up. told him and he said carry on see how you get on. cut a long story short we got him around this afternoon because we werent happy. told him how long it was going to take and either we can do it on a price or day rate. he offered us £500. bearing in mind we had to take up carpets. sheet up. take off rads. take down lights. remove all skirts and architrave and bag up all the plaster. thats a day for 2 of us. then board it all. still had to strip the woodchip of the ceiling and blue grit it. also form an arch. then skim it all.

then in the kitchen theyd had a leak so some of the artex on the walls was just hanging there so it needed scraping off. pva'ing to seal any dust then a coat of blue grit over it all. told him this was touch and go but he was happy with it. patch in the ceiling where the leak came through. take down 3 units. an extractor, 2 flourescent lights, remove a rad. all whilst working in a tiny shitty space with no room to move.not to mention having to polythene the base units and floor. its probably 2 buckets of skim for the whole kitchen. but involves 10+ beads. around 2 windows and 3 doors.

basically he then offered us £700 but said hes not happy and for that price he wants it all spotless. perfect and a first class job. we worked it out to 7 man days so he wants to pay £100 a day and wants a perfect finish. not to mention he was holding back £300 off the last job. he gave my mate the owed dosh. i told him im not ******* doing it and im not grateful he was nice enough to offer me £100 a day. never has a day of not being paid felt so good.

moral of the story.... F'UCK 'EM

Well done. Its difficult sometimes, but its for the best.

I have done this before, makes you stronger next time someone trys to take the pisss.

all i ever want is a fair days pay for a fair days work. i have no doubt i did the right thing i just needed somewhere to vent my frustration

dave ive just received a phone call from a kitchen fitter who recently fitted in an extension i did. said its nice to see some proper plastering, wants me to book 2 jobs in the new year already plus some work in his showroom.

dave ive just received a phone call from a kitchen fitter who recently fitted in an extension i did. said its nice to see some proper plastering, wants me to book 2 jobs in the new year already plus some work in his showroom.
Good for you and the blind kitchen fitter mate, I'm going to start pushing my own stuff next year I'm getting nowhere doing site work

Beddy i reckon your bullshitting, a **** in Coventry, come on now.

Good man for standing your ground, pity more people did`nt do it.I got ****** around a few weeks abck and told him to **** it, 2 weeks work, packed up the Caravan and went to the Cotswolds for 10 days.

well done mate he was a chancer anyway !! site -work is no good for single spreads or small gangs, the rates are all controlled by other peeps ,you the plasterer need's to be in control and tell the customer how much the job is going to cost, then your back in control ,and you can only do this with your own work & customers .........

We've had similar, plastered 4 large rooms on different dates so they could decorate before getting next one ready. First 3 we got paid up straight away - the last one took 2 months waiting..

Whats makes me sick is some folks pull out huge bundles of twenties and it feels like they've been raped everytime they peel one off.. :RpS_mad:

i no lol. lets hope the guy will have a really crap spred in and he will phone you back agreeing with a realistic wage for you.

**** off you lanky cun.t have you sent my ******* cheque yet? youve got one more day else im gonna set tom on you

get your act together beddy, you give the customer the price ,not him telling you what he thinks is correct.
you will end up with the tail wagging the dog!

Ime aways fcuking of jobs i dont take no **** no point its your life and your money, you obviously got the hump Beds you can always tell on this forum they write a big long post on it lol,dont worry Beddy ive been guilty myself, well done mate fcuk them dont let people take the piss

i can see you are very upset and angry beddy , but you done the right thing , unfourtanetly there are people out there who think because we are self employed they can speak and treat us in a manner they would not do with there work colleagues or freinds , personally i am the same i take no grief of anybody i am always polite ,clean up do a good job, and to a certain extent if anybody makes a funny/sarcastic remark i just smile walk out the door and off, but anybody who goes to far, i talk to them without raising my voice ,tell them what i think, and in some few extreme cases simply walked off the job, you did right, and remember as one door shuts another opens.

Status
Not open for further replies.