Bullied At Work

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets face ot, plasterers are a ruthless bunch. They are a breed on their own.

I have never got on with plasterers but there again I always wanted to be a plumber!
i allways wanted to be a plumber to but i dont think i could handle all that money and all the horney housewifes

Lets face ot, plasterers are a ruthless bunch. They are a breed on their own.

I have never got on with plasterers but there again I always wanted to be a plumber!

Do a short course rigsby

Keep Ye goin through those winter months

Nah, dont like getting my hands wet. I would have gone from plumbing to a gas engineer.

i work from galway true clare and limerick .and to be honest last year was very busy ,i'id know about 4 builders that give me work also i work for 3 different subbies so between that lot i was kept going . :) it seems to be picking up

Thanks to those of you that offered helpful advice. There weren't many of you though and I have to say I think plastering probably isn't the trade for Wayne if a lot of the replies are anything to go by. He isn't lazy or depressed or a "mummys boy". He is just a young man trying to find some work. I'm sad that none of you could offer some or even offer tips and phone numbers. He has now got an interview for Aldi and hopefully he can progress in that, Thank you again to the few of you that offered sympathetic advice and did not treat my subject as something to joke about.

Thanks to those of you that offered helpful advice. There weren't many of you though and I have to say I think plastering probably isn't the trade for Wayne if a lot of the replies are anything to go by. He isn't lazy or depressed or a "mummys boy". He is just a young man trying to find some work. I'm sad that none of you could offer some or even offer tips and phone numbers. He has now got an interview for Aldi and hopefully he can progress in that, Thank you again to the few of you that offered sympathetic advice and did not treat my subject as something to joke about.
I've not read through all the posts but from what I have read you were given plenty of advise and tips and to top it off a bit of humour and banter :) he is too late to get into this game if he isn't prepared to work hard, accept banter and give it. Early in the thread you were asked to get him to register and if he can't be arsed to do that and needs his mum to do it it's probably why he is in the situation he is in. From what I have heard years ago aldi is very good pay and chances to move up the ladder, but please don't let me see you on the supermarket forum with similar excuses to why it didn't work out xx

Maybe helenp could go on site with him and fight his battles. Mummy Wayne want bitty!!!:RpS_thumbsup:

its difficult situation some people are thicker skinned than others

but to what i might find as banter others might class as bullying and vise-versa

but i can see why it caused tension on site by going to site manager cause just imagine if the site manger was a bellend he could of put those lively hoods in jeopardy over a bit of banter

to be fair at the age of 36 he probably has got in to the industry to late

helenp, perhaps he could do something like this for a living. its solitary work so he woud not be bullied. perhaps he could do it without the harnesses :RpS_unsure:

or maybe a lighthouse keeper :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've not read through all the posts but from what I have read you were given plenty of advise and tips and to top it off a bit of humour and banter :) he is too late to get into this game if he isn't prepared to work hard, accept banter and give it. Early in the thread you were asked to get him to register and if he can't be arsed to do that and needs his mum to do it it's probably why he is in the situation he is in. From what I have heard years ago aldi is very good pay and chances to move up the ladder, but please don't let me see you on the supermarket forum with similar excuses to why it didn't work out xx

You're a mod on the Aldi forum too? :RpS_laugh:

I think there was lots of advice and unfortunately if you lad was a lot younger it would have been a bit different...

I wish him luck in the future and hopefully he enjoys it :D

The sad truth of it Helen is, site work is like a school playground.

iv seen grown men (I worked on sites from 17-25ish) threatening each other over buckets, water and walls to skim.

i had my fair share of stick, and at times I came close to scrapping because I was mardy, example being a 6.3ft dryliner kept drawing cocks on my new van, so I replaced his number plates with cardboard which read I LUV MEN front and back and was laughing my head off when I flew past him on m1 while he had been pulled on hard shoulder, it got out of hand in the end with letting tyres down, and me telling him I didn't care what he did to me physically but I promised him I'd break at least 1 bone bone in his body.

plastering is very competitive and no disrespect to the younger site guys but some are thick and act clever when in a gang, it does get tedious and I have actually punched a labourer and come close to fighting on several occasions.

no shame in your son living at home, it's tough for younger guys to get out and on the property ladder, luckily for me I did my time on site and stuck it out until I was in a position to work on domestics only, unfortunately it takes a lot of time, money and effort to work domestic only, probably cost me 20k in 3 years to set up domestically.

no way would I go back on site unless I was in a more supervising role or had the contract for the main job, the majority of guys on site are lads who left school with a poor education with a jack the lad mentality who are scrapping over area to effectively put food on table.

the lads on here have got a point, your son is not a plasterer after a 8 week course, it took me about 5 years before I could call myself a plasterer, at best your son is a skimmer and with all due respect probably a slow one.

credit where credits due, he has bigger balls than me walking on a site after an 8 week course.

good luck, MAC

Sorry I've not read all the way through this thread but I seen the bullying after becoming a plasterer and then read the 36 paragraph , fook me most of you have taken this this hook line n sinker ffs ( unless I've missed something in between the two pages I read. Sorry lost the will to live) hilarious lol

helenp, perhaps he could do something like this for a living. its solitary work so he woud not be bullied. perhaps he could do it without the harnesses :RpS_unsure:

or maybe a lighthouse keeper :)

Knowing me, doing that, I'd get to the top and realise if forgot the bulb.

Last edited by a moderator:
no, i couldn't do that. maybe thirty feet then i'd freeze. my dad got stuck on our roof when i was a kid and the fire brigade had to get him down. thw whole street was watching

The sad truth of it Helen is, site work is like a school playground.

iv seen grown men (I worked on sites from 17-25ish) threatening each other over buckets, water and walls to skim.

i had my fair share of stick, and at times I came close to scrapping because I was mardy, example being a 6.3ft dryliner kept drawing cocks on my new van, so I replaced his number plates with cardboard which read I LUV MEN front and back and was laughing my head off when I flew past him on m1 while he had been pulled on hard shoulder, it got out of hand in the end with letting tyres down, and me telling him I didn't care what he did to me physically but I promised him I'd break at least 1 bone bone in his body.

plastering is very competitive and no disrespect to the younger site guys but some are thick and act clever when in a gang, it does get tedious and I have actually punched a labourer and come close to fighting on several occasions.

no shame in your son living at home, it's tough for younger guys to get out and on the property ladder, luckily for me I did my time on site and stuck it out until I was in a position to work on domestics only, unfortunately it takes a lot of time, money and effort to work domestic only, probably cost me 20k in 3 years to set up domestically.

no way would I go back on site unless I was in a more supervising role or had the contract for the main job, the majority of guys on site are lads who left school with a poor education with a jack the lad mentality who are scrapping over area to effectively put food on table.

the lads on here have got a point, your son is not a plasterer after a 8 week course, it took me about 5 years before I could call myself a plasterer, at best your son is a skimmer and with all due respect probably a slow one.

credit where credits due, he has bigger balls than me walking on a site after an 8 week course.

good luck, MAC

Well put Mac-plas!

Blimey , I wished that was the worst I'd had in the army...your not even called by your first name for how many months....it's called character building....your son probably just needs to learn to give it back, a lot of people are very good at giving it but then not so good at taking it.....I do feel for the lad but saying that and I know it's the motherly instinct kicking in, he should be asking for a job / experience himself on the forum...

you can't beat a bit of banter!!! That's what I say......

Thank you to those who replied. It's so good of you to have bothered especially at this time of year when everyone is so busy. Wayne is thirty six for whoever it was who asked that question and that was one of the reasons he was teased. He does not think of himself as the best plasterer that ever lived as some of the replies seem to suggest. He's not like that at all. He just wants a start in a proper trade before it gets too late in life. He realises he is just like an apprentice the bullying was just spiteful really. He can stand up for himself in any situation as well. He's what you would call a man's man always out with his mates. I think he left because when he told the supervisor and then evryone began to blank him it was like a perfect storm and it was just too much for him. Like some of you have said if he could work with an older plasterer and on a smaller site where nobody knows him that would probably be best. Could anyone give him start around the Manchester area? He's a really hard worker and would even do the fixer / labourer part if he could get his foot in the door. He just sits in his room most of the day now and he needs to do something quick.

:RpS_laugh: :RpS_lol:

Hi I'm so glad I've found this site. I'm hoping you could give me some advice please.

I have a son who last year finished an eight week course to become a qualified plasterer. He'd been unemployed before that and never thought he would be able to get a trade. Anyway when he qualified I managed to get him a start on a building site but he only lasted four weeks because of the constant bullying from the other plasterers. It wasn't all of them but when he reported the bullying to a supervisor all of them blanked him afterwards and basically made it impossible for him to carry on. The two bullys who he first reported didn't even get dismissed but just put on a warning. Is this a common thing on a site or was he just unlucky? When he did the course he got on fine with everyone including his instructors. He hasn't bothered to try and find further work since and he isn't even receiving any benefits yet because it was his decision to leave. Could anyone give him start? We are in Manchester.

Hey Hellen,
Very simple! Tell your lad to get on the forum and learn to bullshit about being a spread! 80% of the lads on here are course super spreads so he'd learn from some of the Uk's finest! !!

Jaysus some craic off this thread! A bloke who reckons he's a qualified plasterer after 8 weeks is ridiculous to be fair. Here in ireland an apprenticeship is 4 years and 3/4 of the blokes that come out are useless from doing f**k all in the training centre. Take's at least 4-5 years of hard grafting on site to be of a good standard in my opinion. No disrespect to the op but its fairly laughable to be carrying on that way at 36.

image.jpg
Helen often struggled at dinner time with little Wayne!!
get a fukin grip!:RpS_w00t:

Status
Not open for further replies.