Bull nose corner!?!?! i really need a bit of help

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

smw

I am currently working in a Chapel and the customer wants me to "save" the main arched window and recreate its original bull nosed corner. The window reveals are both back to the stone work and so are the walls. I do have the actual curve at the top of the window to use as a guide but its still a tad daunting as ive never really done stuff like this before. The walls will be being dabbed with insulated board and stopping about 150mm before the window reveals. My plan is to pin a piece of timber down the wall edge of the reveal leaving myself about a trowels width and render in stages till its nice and flat then do the same on the wall so im leaving myself 2 nice straight edges to work to then fill in the corner and round off. I imagine that this method is totally wrong and most of you experienced will be reading this and either laughing and shaking your heads but im a newbie to bull noses so after youve picked yourselves up off the floor send me your advice please!

ta very much:RpS_scared:

just so there is no confusion....... the reveal dives back about 400mm from the wall to the window and the whole thing is about 3 meters from top to bottom and its all bare stone.

If its a basic bull nose,you could make a template for it and run it in a bit like corniche,you could do it with a straight edge just using it to shape the nose, I think template would be best In my humble opinion

iphone pics are utter shite. got my missus on the case on sunday doing some proper pics for a website ive never got around to having done.....ill post some asap. cheers.

Make a little running mould. plaster the walls and reveals ti about 50mm from corner, Fix rules to the wall allowing for the mould to run up the wall and guide the mould. Buy some fine casting plaster.grease up the running mould. Fill in the with the plaster as it gels like Mr whippy ice cream and run the mould up it corner filling misses after each pass of the mould. Or you could bench run them bed them up and plaster up to them

ive been back and taken some pictures. ill post em when i get to my missus's house for me dinner

I would be surprised if they are bullnosed maybe a staff bead if that's what they are called also you may get a crack where it meets the board and plaster of Paris might not be a good idea if it's a solid stone wall

I know them as bull nosed or rolled corners. It's only what I've picked up so its very probably the wrong term. I was hoping to try and do them free hand and in stages. Do reveal then do wall then fill in the corner and roll it in

if in doubt mate sub it out why have the trouble unless this is somethinh you want to be making money from often.:RpS_thumbsup:

I know them as bull nosed or rolled corners. It's only what I've picked up so its very probably the wrong term. I was hoping to try and do them free hand and in stages. Do reveal then do wall then fill in the corner and roll it in
If they are bullnosed it's easy enough as you said

Also fibre tape where you meet the board on both sides

Flynnyman there is no conflict between plaster of paris and stone or between plaster of paris and any other BG plaster. In fact fine casting is a fantastic chase and or hole filler. Usually stone window heads have about a 25mm bullnose on them
The other alternative subject to budget is find a local fibre firm to run a reverse mould and cast them, could bed them like a bead then

Flynnyman there is no conflict between plaster of paris and stone or between plaster of paris and any other BG plaster. In fact fine casting is a fantastic chase and or hole filler. Usually stone window heads have about a 25mm bullnose on them
The other alternative subject to budget is find a local fibre firm to run a reverse mould and cast them, could bed them like a bead then
Just had visions of a solid stone wall I wouldn't really use any BG products on it and didn't realise plaster of Paris was BG but you learn something new every day

I dint get around to posting te pics cos I drank a couple of bottles of wine. Sorry. I'll do it tomorrow.

Me too flynnyman some of the modern types of material/ work go straight over my head. I am aware of them but could never advise on them

smw : regard bull nose - what about pressed screed top and bottom (Using cured template) allow to set rule off screeds using derby or feather edge

Status
Not open for further replies.