Builder needs expert advice

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeh62

Just found your site and I know you can give me the right advice.
I am up in Leicetershire and suffering the weather like everyone else, I have to finish some rendered mock window lintels so the estate agent can photograph the place ASAP.
The exmet and beads have been on since December but its been stupidly cold and they have now become the very last job, the place has had a full hit and even the carpets went in last week.
The entire job is spoiled by that missing render, sods law as its over the front door and windows.
Please tell me what I can mix up that will do a proper job in this weather.
Thanks Mike

welcome to the forum.
anf if you find a render that can be applied in extreme conditions and finished to a reasonable standard, then let us know.
try posting some pics so we can see what your trying to do, might help

How cold is it there? How open is the walls to be rendered, could you put hoarding up to protect it from the weather ?

Just crack on with it like normal so the photos can be taken, and inform the agent that it will need redoing in the summer when it all fails off.

As they are small areas could you not render them as normal using some rapid set and then tack some hessian cloth over them overnight

I could knock up some frames/hoardings to support sacking over the new render and probably include some better insulation, I have plastering sand, hydrated lime, and fast set cement in the yard whats the best gauge to use?
Its about three overcoats colder here at night than Nottingham or Leicester city centres, its in a glacial valley but I dont think the glacier melted as it seems like a bloody ice age. The stream 8 foot wide in the field behind the site had frozen over last night, and there are still banks of snow 3 foot deep against the hedgerows half a mile away.

I could knock up some frames/hoardings to support sacking over the new render and probably include some better insulation, I have plastering sand, hydrated lime, and fast set cement in the yard whats the best gauge to use?
Its about three overcoats colder here at night than Nottingham or Leicester city centres, its in a glacial valley but I dont think the glacier melted as it seems like a bloody ice age. The stream 8 foot wide in the field behind the site had frozen over last night, and there are still banks of snow 3 foot deep against the hedgerows half a mile away.
If you can sill it ,you can heat it mate ,where there,s away ....

What is the render going on to, brick, concrete block ,thermalite ?

For a 3 hr set at 2c use rapid setting cement 5:1 sand and cement. Cover up and hope. I would use hot water to mix with as well and as soon as the morning temp has reached 1c. Otherwise plenty of frost proofer. A good dose will protect down to -8c.

Just crack on with it like normal so the photos can be taken, and inform the agent that it will need redoing in the summer when it all fails off.

If the background has frost within it then how can you render onto it? Submit a written warning, get it signed that this is not your recommendation.

Thanks Rigsby, I am liking this idea best its looking a bit warmer for the end of the week, I cannot hack this render off if it goes wrong I spent hours repacking and pointing the 200 year brick keystones beneath.

Status
Not open for further replies.