Brush or Bottle

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alphamale

Hi guys. Thanks everybody for the welcome the other night. Like I said I'm trying to get more plastering work for my business. But I feel my finish is not great at the moment :RpS_blushing: How do you guys finish your work? With a spray bottle or flicking of brushing with a copper brush? I currently use a spray bottle but my finish looks a bit patchy and sometimes not exactly smooth. I have seen other plasterers using a brush. What's the score there guys :RpS_confused: I really want to get into the plastering side as I think I'll get more respect off people as most people can't do pplasteringwhereas most people think they can cut a lawn or trim a bush.

Hi alpha

So wat you doing at the minute??

Ps I prefer a spray bottle and a small brush for the angles but there is more than one way to skin a cat

I use a brush,but water is water weather its splashed,sprayed or brushed on.just choose whitch one your most comfortable with,changing from bottle to brush probably wont have a massive impacct on the quality of the finish.

Thanks. What will help me get a better finish? Its hard to describe at the moment. It looks like a cloudy sky if you see what I mean. Some of the plaster looks okay but then there are big light watery patches in other places that look like clouds. Its hard to explain. I will ty and upload some photos:RpS_thumbup:

Can you not just plant some shrubs in front of your wals:RpS_unsure:...

some herbacious borders etc....take the bad look off It:RpS_wink:

Can you not just plant some shrubs in front of your wals:RpS_unsure:...

some herbacious borders etc....take the bad look off It:RpS_wink:

Growing things is not as easy as it looks you know its an art form.
My herbaceous borders for example are the gardening worlds equivalent of Fred Wests cellar.

Ive started using fake shrubs plastic plants and the like:RpS_thumbsup:

plazzi plants:RpS_lol: tis the future......gonna get myself some of that fake grass too...put these gardeners out the game:RpS_wink:

take a bit more care flattening both coats ? i use a paddle brush cos guys i learned off did but bottle prob just as good in the right hands.

Hi guys. Thanks everybody for the welcome the other night. Like I said I'm trying to get more plastering work for my business. But I feel my finish is not great at the moment :RpS_blushing: How do you guys finish your work? With a spray bottle or flicking of brushing with a copper brush? I currently use a spray bottle but my finish looks a bit patchy and sometimes not exactly smooth. I have seen other plasterers using a brush. What's the score there guys :RpS_confused: I really want to get into the plastering side as I think I'll get more respect off people as most people can't do pplasteringwhereas most people think they can cut a lawn or trim a bush.

You really want to put as little water as possible on as you trowel.
The finish has already had enough water added to it when you mixed it, keep your trowel clean and the most you want to do is brush a little clean water on to the trowel to lubricate the blade.
The consistent finish your looking for is mainly dependant on timing, which will only come with experience.
Youtube is a decent resource for educational videos Hillsides in particular should teach you all you need to know, good luck bud :RpS_thumbup:

Brush of bottle won't make your finish better! If you having to use loads of water to try and get it smooth your leaving it too late.
I think you said it yourself most people can't do plastering there is a reason for that it's a skilled job. By all means learn to plaster but do it properly try and get on with a plasterer best off learning the right way.

Growing things is not as easy as it looks you know its an art form.
My herbaceous borders for example are the gardening worlds equivalent of Fred Wests cellar.
bloody hell scottie :RpS_scared: how many bodies you got under your borders:RpS_w00t:

Pressure washer is ok I find it gets quite a bit of water on the wall for me then a wet wet dry dry dry dry wet wet dry wet dry wet wet dry trowel normally works

What do you prefer to use on boards @scottie5 multi or board finish and why?

The 2 firms I subbie to only ever use multi on board james so I have little choice. Personally Board I find easier to finish, but I can get an extra bag per gauge on using multi which makes a big difference on a price.
To be honest though neither are anywhere near as good as they were 10-15years ago.
At bgs factory I had a play about with their new Pure-finish which is exactly like multi used to be when it was really good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stupid question this!! Bottle!! But with either Hobgoblin or Speckled Hen mind you that Trooper by Iron Maiden is nice stuff :RpS_thumbup:

Stupid question this!! Bottle!! But with either Hobgoblin or Speckled Hen mind you that Trooper by Iron Maiden is nice stuff :RpS_thumbup:

much prefer magners or bulmers cider ------- copperburg pear mmmmmm:RpS_thumbsup: hic

My brushes are a tad on the rugged side so rather than buy more i purchased a £1 spray bottle and it's doing the job!

Thanks. What will help me get a better finish? Its hard to describe at the moment. It looks like a cloudy sky if you see what I mean. Some of the plaster looks okay but then there are big light watery patches in other places that look like clouds. Its hard to explain. I will ty and upload some photos:RpS_thumbup:

Go to college and learn the trade, if not you shouldn't be charging people to do work if your asking questions like this!

Warm mulled cider for me only in this chilly weather !? Not summer anymore you know Phil :RpS_unsure:

had some mulled cider over the weekend in Manchester, whilst checking out the xmas markets - must say i preferred the mulled cider tasting to the shopping:RpS_thumbsup:

had some mulled cider over the weekend in Manchester, whilst checking out the xmas markets - must say i preferred the mulled cider tasting to the shopping:RpS_thumbsup:

You must of uttered the immortal Barnsley battle cry a few times Phil.
HOW MUUUCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Having used both brushes and spray bottles, I've found that I prefer a spray bottle. As said above too much water on the wall is not so good, and the bottle allows for a good even distribution of a small amount of mist for troweling up. Plus you never have to pick out brush hairs that find their way onto the wall.

Thanks for the input guys. I us a bottle myself but just thought it looked more professional using a brush so I will try that for a few days but with very little water as suggested :RpS_thumbup: An old lady whos lawns I mow asked me about plastering her kitchen today and I need some input if you could. She wants a rugged look like you would get in spain. What would I do there would I just not trowel it flat so just put it on and leave it and would it be multi finish plaster or something special? Is there anyone local to me who could go along with me and price it.Its a full house but just the ceilings. I'm in gosport

Thanks for the input guys. I us a bottle myself but just thought it looked more professional using a brush so I will try that for a few days but with very little water as suggested :RpS_thumbup: An old lady whos lawns I mow asked me about plastering her kitchen today and I need so me input if you could. She wants a rugged look like you would get in spain. What would I do there would I just not trowel it flat so just put it on and leave it and would it be multi finish plaster or something special? Is there anyone local to me who could go along with me and price it.Its a full house but just the ceilings. I'm in gosport

OMG it's people like your self that's killing the trade- just stick to mowing lawns and leave the plastering to the professionals! #igiveup

but you admitted at the start of the thread you can't get a good finish so how can you plaster if you can't get a good finish? and why would you charge some old lady money to not give her a professional standard of work? why not just ring a local spread offer him the job and when he turns up ask him if you can labour on him?

Couldn't agree more @GiantsJam! Wants the rugged look on the ceilings? You don't even know the technical name for it! How can you plaster if you can't get a good finish? Can you float walls and skim them? Stop robbing people and get spreads in that know what they're doing! You've asked me if I have done them as you have just done one - I imagine you have just whacked multi on with a shovel and left it to go off!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.