Brown handy boards

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just looked at a job and it's all plasterboard with brown handy boards?! Ive never seen them before!
All boards was brown side down at one point ! bg and knauf changed it because the glue they used on paper wasn't waterproof , no problems involved but will pull in quicker answer to your question :RpS_thumbup:

I've never heard of brown handyboards before..........Be careful, they might be quite old and will pull in very fast.
Ask the customer how long they've been up and who's boards are they (BG/Knauf) :RpS_thumbup:

as I said brown as in the question , I meant the dark side of the boards ,just clearing this up , CT we use to board dark side down all the time light side was for artexing because there was less suction

the brown side as you call it is made from recycled paper. it is not designed to take the weight of plaster.
the ivory side has bonded edges that once fixed can not pull off the sheet when plastered

the brown side as you call it is made from recycled paper. it is not designed to take the weight of plaster.
the ivory side has bonded edges that once fixed can not pull off the sheet when plastered
there's is a supplier of brown handy boards cant remember who makes them, bg and knauf both changed wat side got plastered because the glue was not waterproof and before the gauge set all joints sagged and showed through finish. as I was a apprentices at the time I took note around 1984/85 ish when it was 50 kilo bags ,dute scrim ,3 coat work and carlite and browning oh the days with a drag and podger

as I said brown as in the question , I meant the dark side of the boards ,just clearing this up , CT we use to board dark side down all the time light side was for artexing because there was less suction

The side it says do not plaster on ???? Why do that ????

Also why do u want the suction on the boards casplas ? There designed so the skim doesnt get the life sucked out of it , and like malc said abiut the edges the light side laps around to the back , am surprised you havnt had any problems ......

dont the ivory side have millions of tiny holes punched in it aswell so the plaster can bite properly aswell??

Also why do u want the suction on the boards casplas ? There designed so the skim doesnt get the life sucked out of it , and like malc said abiut the edges the light side laps around to the back , am surprised you havnt had any problems ......
I don't board that way now , but back in my apprentice years they did as for why I couldn't tell you, but board finish adhered a lot better back then . and it never said don't plaster this side on them in 80's

@CTPlastering didn't you plasterboard in 80 's ? dislike away its wat every plasterer use to do and at the time it was correct, it only changed because of the glue bg and knauf used.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember seeing brown looking boards in France like a light brown paper bag colour on the face.

A wasnt plastering back then my self ..... Still though its not the 80s now ? So wouldnt be advising people as if it was ? I know a few older spreads al ask them :RpS_cool:

A wasnt plastering back then my self ..... Still though its not the 80s now ? So wouldnt be advising people as if it was ? I know a few older spreads al ask them :RpS_cool:
what about boards that are made in dark paper and read my posts were do I say board dark side down ? p.s are you Wakefield CT plastering ?

I don't board that way now , but back in my apprentice years they did as for why I couldn't tell you, but board finish adhered a lot better back then . and it never said don't plaster this side on them in 80's

it was not recycled paper in those days. the infill on a sheet of board is also recycled, thats why there is a problem in dumping plasterboard. the ivory sheet of paper is the only thing they have to pay for.

it was not recycled paper in those days. the infill on a sheet of board is also recycled, thats why there is a problem in dumping plasterboard. the ivory sheet of paper is the only thing they have to pay for.
its all about moving with the times I suppose , if my memory serves me well though it stuck better to that paper than wat it sticks to ivory side of today ,whether that be board finish of old or the paper I don't know

its all about moving with the times I suppose , if my memory serves me well though it stuck better to that paper than wat it sticks to ivory side of today ,whether that be board finish of old or the paper I don't know

you can still purchase thistle board finish plaster.

so they tell me!

how did you get on with your xkr in the end?

it was wrote off in the end they paid me out for it and took it away mate, took a long time to get it sorted though his insurance paid me out over 3 different cheques which just dragged out the amount of time they was paying for my courtesy car for

you can still purchase thistle board finish plaster.
lol sorry cant help but laugh I've been using it best part of 30 years , so that means paper was better in your eyes ? but I think they have changed components of board finish to suit ivory side of boards, after a hour of skim being on board in 80's skim would pull paper off before coming away, cant be said nowadays .

I guessed the size, the brown bit lost me, I remember 3/2 in Ireland, slabbing it's called over there, the days of 1/8 gap
same idea as lathe boards over here john, sound boards was same in 90's other than gap between them then over board with half inch

My old man once said, you could never put up 8 x 4 boards on a ceiling if they came down the would kill someone, he was a farmer but its funny how people look at things, I was thinking of him when I had 10x 4 boards on a site once

lol sorry cant help but laugh I've been using it best part of 30 years , so that means paper was better in your eyes ? but I think they have changed components of board finish to suit ivory side of boards, after a hour of skim being on board in 80's skim would pull paper off before coming away, cant be said nowadays .

the whole makeup of plasterboard is different now to what it was in the 80s. it is now called synthetic gypsum to meet the eec rules .
i know that the paper on 80s plasterboard was more open and a lot more corse, but things have changed.

My old man once said, you could never put up 8 x 4 boards on a ceiling if they came down the would kill someone, he was a farmer but its funny how people look at things, I was thinking of him when I had 10x 4 boards on a site once

in your fathers day a sheet of 8x4 plasterboard was called wallboard ie it was used on a wall. lath board was for ceilings.

in your fathers day a sheet of 8x4 plasterboard was called wallboard ie it was used on a wall. lath board was for ceilings.

Malc when you say lath board are you saying 4ft x 16ins and 4ft 6ins x 16ins plasterboard lath? easy to put up, no jute scrim required.

Malc when you say lath board are you saying 4ft x 16ins and 4ft 6ins x 16ins plasterboard lath? easy to put up, no jute scrim required.

theplasterboard lath where easy to fit, fixed like english bond on brickwork. you just scrim the ceiling lines, and set. or you could float them out, if the architect spec. in thistle fibre browning and skim.

Status
Not open for further replies.