British Gypsum Universal One Coat

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jensenmike

Hi Guys,

i've a few bags of this over the years, each time thinking I'll save time not having to do scratch/float coats, but the setting time is painfully slow and the finish however well done, never has the crispness that multi has - probably was never intended to, but some of you may disagree.

The promotional videos by BG & Knauf try to sell the stuff on the speed factor compared to the two coat system, but I would think the quality of finish varies considerably between the two. Most of the sites seem to still goes with multi, either on board or float, so I'm guessing it will always have the superior finish.

I'd be interested to know what others think.

It's quicker than float and set and gets its flat with no holes which is what ur after. Once it's painted it looks the same as bg. Dries a bit slower tho once you've finished

I can get a nice finish with one coat. How are doing it. You need to straighten it then sponge float to get the water up. Then polish it. Multi is pish, bf a lot better

it's a plaster you can't set, you need to get the fat out of the top of it when it's nearly set to get a smooth nice finish, like scots plaster said, needs to be sponged.

I rule it off & as you say, sponge it when nearly set, before troweling. I try to keep water to a minimum though when sponging, as it seems to worsen blistering. But you can get rid of them with the trowel or spatula, at the end.

I'd a feeling that was the case - I leave polishing a bit later & that will hopefully stop any blisters. Thanks for your input.

i've always liked using it ,especially over thick artex and it looks better than BG finish once its dried but you cant get it anymore in b&q

we plastered out a mill restoration with bg universal plaster, as a white finish was required, no decoration to the plaster. then we coated the plaster in a mixture of lux soap flakes and polished with lambs wool cloth. if the plaster got dirty at a later date warm eater will remove the lux flakes back to the original finish.

It seems more suited to older properties than new build. The White finish seems to make it harder to spot minor galls and blemishes and again, if it were so suited to new build, then why aren't most of the big sites using it?. All the merchants I've purchased it from in the past, have said it's not their best seller. Presumably Multi and Board finish are ? Or walls are just dry lined in a lot of cases.

Multi and board finish is quicker,goes further and cheaper,there's a time and place for bg one coat and its not on board work new build

Status
Not open for further replies.