British Gypsum Launches Thistle Uni-Finish

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.
dont know mate ,there was so much new work about never thought of a re -skim , but it was better plaster than multi and the bags it came in were proper paper :)

Hi guys , new to this forum .. Looking around for other plasterers views on uni finish and fell across this plasterers forum ..... I've used this a couple of times over two different surfaces , the first being a slightly patterned artex ceiling , this setting time was quite normal also id like to point out it spreads really nice ! The second surface was slightly pourus wall about 4m in length and the setting time was speeded up quite rapid, still capable of keeping under control but quicker ? Only thing that worries me ? That I've yet to try it on is the really old sandy walls ?? Even with two coats of pva or plasterers primer these walls can be quick ? Anyone tried uni on them yet ? Be interested to hear how you got on ? Thx great to meet you all ..

Tried it today, it works but is not as good as i'd hoped. The first coat dries far too fast and creates air bubbles the size of which i've never seen before, but coat 2 went on really well to my suprise. Top class finish, seems finer than multi or board.

I found my first coat very similar ! Although I didn't get big air bubbles I got lots of fine cracks on my first coat ! And like you say the second coat goes on mint !! What surface did you apply it on ? Cheers

Reet lads i tested this last night, i did a wall 8m2 it had been skimmed 4 days ago, i wet the first half of the wall with water and left the second half dry. Spreading on the first half went ok, then on the dry second half it set within second as i expected, i carried on and went back to the first half to lay down and it was set so i layed down anyway and layed the second half down, turned back to trowel and it was virtually gone, this was just 8m2 i will not be trying this again. I tried it on plaster board and also pva and it was fine but so is multi.

But give it a go you might like it like that :RpS_thumbsup:

What can they do to stop the suction though? They can add additives to help it stick but what's the point if its gone and you can't trowel it up, pvaing porous surfaces is never a problem it could come into its own over artex and low suction where you have to use gypbond

What can they do to stop the suction though? They can add additives to help it stick but what's the point if its gone and you can't trowel it up, pvaing porous surfaces is never a problem it could come into its own over artex and low suction where you have to use gypbond

I suspect that it will be good on very high suction backgrounds that require 4 or 5 pva's, with just one pva to kill the initial pull.

excellent point what we need is a plaster that bubbles a bit more over hardwall
what we need is a plaster that once a first coat has been applied it kills most of the suction ready for the second coat.

Multi on hardwall is shite. If that was a new system and someone showed you that compared to S+C and multi you would tell them **** off. Now when BG used to sell seraphite you could float a house out then turn back and skim it, the system worked. We need a plaster that can do that again. Simple

Really and where was the last house you skimmed with seraphite mr 29year old
If you can't skim hardwall it might be worth shutting up and stop telling people that you can't and making a fool out of yourself in front of thousands of people on the interweb

well i can remember when sirapite was put out of production and multi finish was first produced,it must have been the 1970s, multi was so r******d you could only get one hit a day. with sirapite we added lime and thistle board finish and you could have the material as you required. the less thistle, the quicker the set. sirapite without thistle in the mix would set in about 15 mins. ideal for small jobs. sirapite was a corse plaster, you could see the grains in it. multi is much finer finish made for people who do not know anything but want to run their hands over it. i do think that multi on hardwall looks better then multi on sand and cement. hardwall takes the finish in. sand and cement repels the finish. unfortunately i can remember millrite plaster that was replaced with thistle board finish

Multi on hardwall is shite. If that was a new system and someone showed you that compared to S+C and multi you would tell them **** off. Now when BG used to sell seraphite you could float a house out then turn back and skim it, the system worked. We need a plaster that can do that again. Simple

Personally i think thats a crock of sh*te, I like multi on hardwall they work well together, But only if you don't float more than you can then set the same day, ialso remember when Hardwall was brought in on sites instead of S&C no one told anyone to fook off, They just got on and used it, simple rule Float only what you can Set the same day

Really and where was the last house you skimmed with seraphite mr 29year old
If you can't skim hardwall it might be worth shutting up and stop telling people that you can't and making a fool out of yourself in front of thousands of people on the interweb

It can be done but its a mission and a shite system. If you cant admit that then your the fool.

With regards to me using seraphite to skim a house no i haven't BG stopped selling but i do listen to people that have been in the trade 40+ years and take on board what they say. Your always banging on about young spreads dont know **** and they dont do proper apprenticeships yet when someone has and does draw on the wisdom of real time served tradesmen you try you best (and fail) to be little them.

Why?

Personally i think thats a crock of sh*te, I like multi on hardwall they work well together, But only if you don't float more than you can then set the same day, ialso remember when Hardwall was brought in on sites instead of S&C no one told anyone to fook off, They just got on and used it, simple rule Float only what you can Set the same day

Thats because they had the correct product to finish it with back then.

Hardwall and multi work together well? Get real its shite

I been plastering for 17 years and i dont mind admitting that until now ive never even heard of seraphite as for multi on hardwall theres no probs only problem is the suction from the block i.e thermalite or durox, they should bring back carlite finish for that it was beltin.

I been plastering for 17 years and i dont mind admitting that until now ive never even heard of seraphite as for multi on hardwall theres no probs only problem is the suction from the block i.e thermalite or durox, they should bring back carlite finish for that it was beltin.

Just been informed it was indeed carlite finish and Browning. My bad!

Anyways my point was that there used to be something better then there is now and the current system is poor.

Last edited:
hi, i tried the uni finish at college on wednesday, the 1st coat pulled in really quick(looks like its dried within mins), but the 2nd coat goes on nice, just flatten it down 10 mis after and it looks nice, after 1 trowel it looks like it doesnt need trowelling again,2/3 trowels are enough, yesterday i put it on the same, but in the 2nd coat i mixed half uni and multi together and it goes on better and the finish is excerllent, also tried the uni on boards and the 1st coat pulls in quick.

More to do with the backing than the finish wouldn't you agree skimmer?
As a skimmer I would not know anything about backing coats so I would blame the plaster. Why what's wrong with the backing coat I thought it was all good and no one had any issues.

Currier there is nothing wrong with the materials its just knowing when to do what and when not to, suction is about the background not the plaster.

Really? You can put your hand on your heart and say if you use either BG gyprime or Knauf HSP your still happy with the way hardwall and multi pre forms?

You can get a good finish but its hard work and what I don't understand is why if BG had products that worked better then what we have now did they remove them from the market?

S+C and multi works sweet

Hardwall and multi sucks balls

Last edited:
Have you ever used anything else?

Yes Sirrapite A & B on S&C, Board Finish on S&C, multi on S&C & Hardwall, Carlite finish on Browning & Bonding, i've been in the game longer than you've been alive so i geuss that makes me qualified to give my opinion wouldn't you say ??

Really? You can put your hand on your heart and say if you use either BG gyprime or Knauf HSP your still happy with the way hardwall and multi pre forms?

You can get a good finish but its hard work and what I don't understand is why if BG had products that worked better then what we have now did they remove them from the market?

S+C and multi works sweet

Hardwall and multi sucks balls

Only because you cant handle it

Status
Not open for further replies.