british gypsum finish or knauf finish

Status
Not open for further replies.

claw75

hello all....Does anyone find the knauf finish better than british gypsum? i've always tended to use multi or board finish by british gypsum..... local merchant now stocking more knauf products...

they'd have prolly done better if they called it 'wonder porridge'.. :D

actually, wickes board adhesive is knauf, and i use that ok...wouldnt ever use their finish though..

everyone knows that plasters use british gypsum, its comes in orange or green bags. if you turn up 2 a job and the customer looks round and does see any orange or green bags hes probably gona think does guy know what hes doing. :eek:

we are using KNAUF Board finish at the moment i was really surprise how good it was cause we used KNAUF FP90 2 years ago and i didnt rate it but u can put loads on

But deep down i perfer "The Plasterers Plaster " thistle board finish or Multi finish

hi guys sorry to go against the grain here but I have used knauf multi finish 5 days a week for the last 14 years its used by Persimmon homes North east, it makes life much easier for skimming on new board work
the plus side of Knauf multi is that it spreads easier and further than Gypsem or Thissle

a 1 and 1 squad can comftably control a 3 bag batch, on average going will spread 40 m, start to finsh, in normal conditions takes 2hours 15 mins to set where as gypsem I would think it would be nearer 30m, another plus side to knauf is it seems much stronger than Gypsem as in deformed boardwork will fill easier, but the biggest plus of them all is it only needs 1 coat,

so thats 1 coat, 1 trowel in wet \and 2 water finishes but rememmber this only applys to new board work,

The downside is Winter low temps can take up to 3 hours to set
poor for sponge work
and worst downside is no good at all for unibond and skim on old walls
when applyed with 2 or 3 coats tends to hareline crack on unibond/ skim old work, so this totaly rules out trying to cover knauf finish over artex,

Which is best Knauf for new work by miles, never once had a problem with this gear in 14 years thats averaging 1 house a week never anycomebacks

while I am on We use knauf boards they aare much better and Knauf drywall adesive to dot / dab much easier to dab with knauf all our houses are finished with knauf coving much lighter and easier to fix than Gypsem

so to some it up new work Knauf by a mile old work definatly not knauf

HI IVE USED IT ON PERSIMMON SITES ,AT FIRST I HATED IT BUT BUT WHEN WE GOT USED TO IT WE WERE DOING 7 BAG GAUGES(2&1 GANG) AND IT SEEMED TO COVER A LOT MORE THAT GYPSEM

you lads that are used to it - boardy only - how does it compare technique wise to thistle?? any major difference or could i throw it on and trowel it up same, just have a bigger set?
reason i ask is that i was forced to use some one coat shite in germany years ago and found it crap, maybe it was due to my lack of experience with the stuff..

bigsegs m8, no it aint 1 coat plaster its just skimming that is easier if done right with 1 coat instead of 2,
compared to Thisstle i would say much lighter and loads easier to spread and will probs do one third more in area

Plasterers are allways looking for an easier way well on big areas this is it,

and like the guy above said 7 bag batches on big areas can be done with 2/1 squad

try doing a 7 bag batch with thisstle lol

yeh nice one, might give it a shot on some big ceilings comin up...so i just treat it as thistle then? theres this bollox about it bein 'clay free of impurities' and all that but all i care about is gettin a finish on it..

Seggs a few years ago BG were on strike and all that was available was knauf, we were working on a school being turned into flats the first time i used it, I personally thought it was crap as it stayed realy wet then all of a sudden turned solid unlike multi does it gradually, but after a while you get used to it and its realy nice to use, only trouble i found with it was cause its white its hard to see misses and looks all nice and dandy till its painted.

hi we do a pretty s**t job we use knauf one coat plaster on palsterboard cos they been done wrong and then skimming with knauf board finish.but it peels off very easy and does not bonds well.anyone knows somthing about it.i think borad finish is not ment to be used on backing coat
thamks

Knauf universal board finish is great stuff, just has different setting/troweling times,just adjust to suit and your fine.Were using at the moment but two coats is a must would never one coat with it as i find its a lot thinner that BG plasters and doesmt fill out as well. Lay on qick run over with trowel before laying down Ist trowel NO water, 2nd Wet trowel, finish with a dry flash, Sorted!

I used it years ago, about 91, 93, at first couldn't get on with it, ...near the end of the setting time it just goes off quick, plus it's designed not too be polished, left as a matt finish, but we still gave it another trowel just to take the coarseness out of it. Good gear, and looks better as it dries out, unlike multi.

hi guys sorry to go against the grain here but I have used knauf multi finish 5 days a week for the last 14 years its used by Persimmon homes North east, it makes life much easier for skimming on new board work
the plus side of Knauf multi is that it spreads easier and further than Gypsem or Thissle

a 1 and 1 squad can comftably control a 3 bag batch, on average going will spread 40 m, start to finsh, in normal conditions takes 2hours 15 mins to set where as gypsem I would think it would be nearer 30m, another plus side to knauf is it seems much stronger than Gypsem as in deformed boardwork will fill easier, but the biggest plus of them all is it only needs 1 coat,

so thats 1 coat, 1 trowel in wet \and 2 water finishes but rememmber this only applys to new board work,

The downside is Winter low temps can take up to 3 hours to set
poor for sponge work
and worst downside is no good at all for unibond and skim on old walls
when applyed with 2 or 3 coats tends to hareline crack on unibond/ skim old work, so this totaly rules out trying to cover knauf finish over artex,

Which is best Knauf for new work by miles, never once had a problem with this gear in 14 years thats averaging 1 house a week never anycomebacks

while I am on We use knauf boards they aare much better and Knauf drywall adesive to dot / dab much easier to dab with knauf all our houses are finished with knauf coving much lighter and easier to fix than Gypsem

so to some it up new work Knauf by a mile old work definatly not knauf

is it mp finish u use.

Status
Not open for further replies.