Breathable membrane in single brick stud insulation

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi lads, I've seen a few single brick walls studded and insulated in different ways.. some with a polyethylene membrane behind the insulation some on top of the insulation/behind the plasterboard. seen both these ways with a breathable membrane too. Also kingspan sat flush to the brick then stud ran right over the kingspan and boarded.
What way do you think is the best to benefit from insulation with no risk of condensation, damp penetration or rotting stud.
Obviously the last method you would use a bit more space so wouldn't be ideal for small rooms where space is already limited.

You could use treated stud work,a dpc under the sole plate if you have one and the header plate also dpc behind the stud can only help even though its treated timber.the breathable membrane is a good idea too. I think there should be an air gap between the insulation and the brickwork.using foil back plasterboard is also good. For the stud you have the option of metal too.

I reckon MF stud would suit it better or as said tanalised timber, insolation, MF stud, foil back or insolation back board, that's the way I would do it but as said people do it other ways with the same result.

good luck with it bud

I do quite a bit of this stuff cos most ot the farmers and estate owners around where i live will not spend the money on proper repairs to farm worker cottages etc. From the bits and pieces i have read up on this the idea is to stop cold air meeting warm air to stop condensation happening. my undstanding is that which ever method you use to insulate you need to make sure that never the twain shall meet. so if you use kingspan between timbers they should be a very snug fit and all the joints in it should be taped. If you go for poly behind or infront of the insulation again the joints should be taped to stop the cold air getting past. As John said leaving a breathing space behind the insulation wont hurt. Treated timber is a must really. Hope that all make sense / helps

Yes thanks mate I was just curious what other lads think on it. I've always had the membrane behind the insulation and stud but I've seen it go on top of the insulation and stud too..just ordinary polythene and this was to regs! Surely if the warm air hit this it would just condense?

I hear what your saying but if you look at new build timber frame houses and the customer has opted to go for rock wool say rather than kingspan then the membrane must be fitted at the front and taped. I am not totally clear on the science behind it tbh but someone somewhere who does a lot less hard graft than we do will be getting paid lots a dosh for dreaming sorry i mean collating lots of data and setting these regs :RpS_lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.