boxing in pipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaffy

I am going to box in my water pipes in the downstairs loo. Size 2 mtrs high. Right angle 50mmx100mm. Materials wood battens / plasterboard then skim. Do I need to reinforce the outside corner? Thanks

Yes you will need a skim bead which is galvanised and comes in 2.4 metre or 3 metre lengths. If your studding is nice and solid then nail it on, but if not you can stick it on with the skim plaster or with unibond no nails.

and dont put a screw through the pipes :RpS_thumbup: i wasnt being pissy i have done it myself :RpS_blushing:

I always thought you cladded any pipework with thin ply board so you can access it in case of leaks etc? Otherwise the plumber will rip your work to bits and you'd have to do it all again instead of just unscrewing the ply panels for access?? :RpS_confused:

When I've done renovating properties last while pipes what were boxed in were always chased in instead? Kind of makes you think they should have done that in the first place ?? :RpS_laugh:

the jobs i go on these days the pipes are plastic and are chased into the wall in some random places.

Your not wrong there pal, I'm often shocked what some other trades get away with relying in us plasterers to make it all look mint in the end?? :-0

The house was extended in the 70's. I bought it in the 80's. The pipes run up the inside surface of a brick external wall. After all these years, I have decided that I want them hidden. I thought putting them in the wall would not be feasible. Unless plasterers forum can advise differently.

I will make the stop valves behind the sink and loo accessible.
Thanks for all replies.

Sinking the pipes in the wall should be fine? Just be aware to put tape over any copper pipes as if you are patching with thistle bonding coat?? That reacts with copper and is a no no. :RpS_thumbup:

we have a very quick method over this problem. cut the plasterboard to the overall size you require, just cut the board on the face side of the external, not on the back of the external, run a few dabs of dry wall adhesive both side of the pipes. fold the plasterboard, fixing onto the dabs make sure it is square both sides scrim internals, skim pushing bead into the skim.

Status
Not open for further replies.