Box screeds

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
essexandy said:
richardbrown said:
but what is the correct method of laying the screeds. if you are gonna sand cement and skim.

This is the way I use screeds Richard, when rendering I work right to left (I'm right handed).
Firstly I put a level on the wall near the internal to see if I need to the screed on thicker at the top or bottom to get it plumb, then I put a vertical screed about 300mm wide down the internal and rule it off, then I check it with the level and make any adjustments needed. Now I'm not saying that I make sure that they're all bang on plumb but if not they're always close.
I then do the same at the other end of the wall. The thickness of the screeds may vary taking into account of anything that needs getting over ( a poorly fixed lecy box or an obvious bow in the wall). If the blockwork is good and there aren't any other problems then I aim to have the screeds about 11mm thick. I don't leave the screeds to pull in or float them over, I just put on across the top of the wall from right to left coming down the wall about 400mm and then rule of from one screed to the other. Once I'm happy that I've got it straight I drop down the wall another 400mm and repeat the process until the wall is finished. This all sounds very long winded but is a very efficient way of rendering, your always ruling off fresh muck which can go straight back on the board and be reused. And I've worked alongside and employed enough spreads to know that I'm not slow. Anyway that's enough bla bla bla ;)
Pretty much the same method as Andy ' i,m right handed and also work right to left on base coats (we have had many a long winded discussion on this forum about theses methods) except when using a machine and one coat then it just gets flattened off in one with the h section, then over with the trap to square up the job, how much longer is thread gonna go on ::)

it takes longer to put the screeds up but halfs the time to rule the middle plus you can leave youre lab laying on while youre starting fresh screeds

screeds have there uses but on price no if you cant get it flat ruling theres something wrong

if you two coat the wall, one coat then another stright over its not a problem of am i just quick, i have even done it durox blocks

Grand, flat is easy its plumb that is the prob especialy in tiled areas, plasterers should always leave these areas spot on plumb as tilers only use thinset addys so not a lot of adjustmant available this is where screeds come into their own.
Lucius.

lucius said:
Grand, flat is easy its plumb that is the prob especialy in tiled areas, plasterers should always leave these areas spot on plumb as tilers only use thinset addys so not a lot of adjustmant available this is where screeds come into their own.
Lucius.

if the blockwork aint plumb its not my problem unles im getting paid to make it plumb

same here mate ......feel sorry for dabbers sometimes when there work gets picked on for being out of plumb .....we dont put levels on our work .........or then is that why dabs chosed over roughing

lucius if you look at what i posted i said they have there uses ie when floating for tiling

ok..... i know im going over old ground here. but do u lads on here use horizontal screeds or vertical screeds or both... cheers

SkyZOO said:
ok..... i know im going over old ground here. but do u lads on here use horizontal screeds or vertical screeds or both... cheers

Look back a bit I described exactly how I do for Richard.

Some shocking answers on this site regarding floating , I would hate to tile a wall after some people, I would be getting them back to re do properly, if your floating a wall box screed or dot and screed only way, if your wall is only being painted then can get away with just lay on and level off, just make sure ceiling and skirting lines are level
If box screed, lay screeds vertically starting right to left, use level to to get screeds plumb , then work way down wall with screeds at a distance your featheredge will touch both screeds, level the screeds off , lay horizontal screeds top and bottom , fill in between screeds, will leave perfect plumb and level Walls , can use plasterboard cut offs stuck on wall use level between top and bottom to get plumb , level them all off down the wall, float wall,

Yeah remenber that, it was Bruce Willis who pulled me up on that i think, sometimes ime as thick as pigshit.
Lucius

I think its the same as free ruling. Float out a section of a wall rule off and fill in etc and then use that block of screed as a reference to work off for the next block. Same thing just a different name i think.
Thanks, mystery sorted lol

Status
Not open for further replies.