Bondit, blue grit stuff

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hairybear

Secured a job today, just a reskim but needed more...... Customer not wanting to pay for anything more than a skim. Anyway, 1930s house, plaster in a bad way, blown, cracked you name it.
I've used the feb-bond blue grit before on artex ceilings but never used it on walls. The feb blue grit needs to be applied the day before and dry.

Can an anyone tell me if any of the other brand 'blue grit' type primers can be applied same day, like pva.

Cheers

I use microgobetis 3000 by parex which is great stuff as it dries the quickest out of all the bonding agents I've used, has a decent key and now can be watered down up to 25% for higher suction backgrounds. Betakontakt can also be applied and skimmed same day this time of year but not always in the winter. PvA is still a good product for same day skim if used correctly.

You can use sbr same day. U think its better than pva but not as good as Feb blue or cementone or plas prime green stuff

I use microgobetis 3000 by parex which is great stuff as it dries the quickest out of all the bonding agents I've used, has a decent key and now can be watered down up to 25% for higher suction backgrounds. Betakontakt can also be applied and skimmed same day this time of year but not always in the winter. PvA is still a good product for same day skim if used correctly.

Youre getting on well with it then jim?

Secured a job today, just a reskim but needed more...... Customer not wanting to pay for anything more than a skim. Anyway, 1930s house, plaster in a bad way, blown, cracked you name it.
I've used the feb-bond blue grit before on artex ceilings but never used it on walls. The feb blue grit needs to be applied the day before and dry.

Can an anyone tell me if any of the other brand 'blue grit' type primers can be applied same day, like pva.

Cheers
Sounds like I would bed render mesh into the skimming as well mate if your only skimming over the blown and cracked walls

Wickes bonding agent can be skimmed same day.

Any better than pva though? I want to be able to glue the walls up with a bonding agent and start laying on within half hour, as you do with pva. However, I'm always chasing the pva when I'm doing largish rooms on my Todd. The feb blue grit is great however I have to apply it the day before which can be a pain. When you say lt can be laid the same day, are we talking half hour or 3 hours later? I know temperature and suction will effect dryng time, as with pva but..... Surely there's a blue grit type product you can use and start laying on straight after. Or am I asking to much from the modern world?

Any better than pva though? I want to be able to glue the walls up with a bonding agent and start laying on within half hour, as you do with pva. However, I'm always chasing the pva when I'm doing largish rooms on my Todd. The feb blue grit is great however I have to apply it the day before which can be a pain. When you say lt can be laid the same day, are we talking half hour or 3 hours later? I know temperature and suction will effect dryng time, as with pva but..... Surely there's a blue grit type product you can use and start laying on straight after. Or am I asking to much from the modern world?

It say 4 hours but it often sets before that depending on background

@beddy, are you talking about the wickes stuff? If so, how long is it good for after it 'ready' What I mean is, if it's ready to accept the first coat after half hour or so, is it then good for another half hour or so to allow you time to get the whole wall on without needing to reapply anything?

You know what pva's like, if you're on your own on a reasonable size room, by the time you've laid the first bag, the pva has dried up so you need to waste brain cells and time ******* about with pva......

Last edited by a moderator:
Parex is only 10 minutes from me so the merchants just go and pick it up for me. Same or next day normally. spoke to parex about buying it direct but they wouldn't let me

Sounds like I would bed render mesh into the skimming as well mate if your only skimming over the blown and cracked walls

I would agree with this. However I've found render mesh to be to heavy and expensive.

I'm in the process of importing mesh with the same pattern as Weber mesh but 60% the weight as I couldn't source any thing suitable in the UK.

Let me know if anyone wants any

I would agree with this. However I've found render mesh to be to heavy and expensive.

I'm in the process of importing mesh with the same pattern as Weber mesh but 60% the weight as I couldn't source any thing suitable in the UK.

Let me know if anyone wants any
Would be interested in buying some as we get through loads on refurbs

i would have thought they would show through the 2mm of skimming.............av put them in bonding before like

As a1 says just in the first coat. Can't even see them. Just chuck a small handful in the water and give it a spin with the mixer or bucket trowel. Buy them from wickes or online

As a1 says just in the first coat. Can't even see them. Just chuck a small handful in the water and give it a spin with the mixer or bucket trowel. Buy them from wickes or online

Never seen fibres in wickes, not that I've ever looked mind you.....

WTF do these clowns know about fibres in the mix like.................................:RpS_confused :

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.