Bonding thrown in with finish?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had artex ceiling and walls with tile adesive on was to thick just for skim but no time to bond out and wait so mixed a couple of handfulls of bonding in the tub of finish applied first coat flattend had a cuppa and fag then applied second coat of just skim it came out lovely anyone else do this it saves time and gives a nice finish.

did it a little while ago on a artex ceilin with double curve worked a treat

I always do a 50/50 first mix over artex with bonding and skim then just top it and trowel. Comes out lovely and hides that nasty pattern showing through.

You can skim on bonding while it's damp anyway, what's the point in throwing skim in with it? If your that much in a rush just one coat skim over the bonding! If your good you should be able to get a good finish on a one coat skim

Yer find that artex even thin artex the finish never comes out as nice and ceilings are always bumpy and unlevel that have been artexed.

bonding sometimes hangs about but if yiu add some finish it pulls it in ready for top skim coat jobsagoodun :RpS_biggrin:

Its not about being in a rush, its about hiding that nasty pattern that always shows through when only skim is used. I'd rather throw skim in with the bonding to cream it up, nicer to coat over.

Who said anything about just skimming straight over the artex? You should of paid for reading classes before a 5 day plastering course!

I would rather overboard artex and skim if poss, or bonding with a bit of lime in it then skim

Last edited:
Easy tiger, you do it your way and i'll do it mine as its better :RpS_thumbsup:
GREENHANDBAG.jpg

No you clicked on the wrong tab at the top of your screen, this is the plastering forum, we abuse eachother after 9 but not in the way you hoped for. sorry

Coat of bonding with finish faster off no bubbles like the man says have a fag an then plaster it.overboarding is for fairies who cant plaster poofs.

hello claire sweetheart :RpS_drool:
what i do is i get the floor scraper out to knock the tops off, then get the electric planer on it, no mask or owt just goggles, get the hosepipe out give it a good soaking to get rid of the dust then one coat it, dont bother with any pva or owt

Its not about being in a rush, its about hiding that nasty pattern that always shows through when only skim is used. I'd rather throw skim in with the bonding to cream it up, nicer to coat over.

Never had pattern showing through using just skim.
You must be 2nd coating to early.
Just let your first coat of skim over artex firm up enough before topcoating then it'll never show the pattern through :RpS_wink:

Sometimezs the artex cums through not matter what you do you can apply the first coat a bit thicker with a few hanfulls of bonding its the way forward. I dont bother scraping the major stipples any morecos I heard artex before the eighties may have asbestos in it!

That's why I get it tested before I scrape it, then 2 coats of skim & no pattern showing through :RpS_wink:Never had this problem mate even on heavy artex.

Is that all. what happens then you book sumone they come out and test it do you get the results then and there?may aswell just unibond and set.

Status
Not open for further replies.