Bonding then multi finish some hours later

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

njh1979

Ok new to the forum so Hello. Had my first go at plastering last week and picked up some of the basics.

A doorway was removed and then blocked up with thermolite blocks by someone on a job with me. The existing wall was approx 130mm (TH) so the therma blocks needed packing both side. What was used was a bonding coat on both side and left to dry through the afternoon and night. The next morning a coat of multi finish was given with good results. Someone elsewhere has shot this method down. What do you guys think? I must add the guy that did this has 51 years experience in the building industry.

Hi and welcome.
Its best to float and set the same day, but if its not feasible then the next day is fine if you know what you're doing.

I would have wet the bonding, let it soak in for a bit then skim.....as long as it's been devilled....

It will go off quick.

Ok new to the forum so Hello. Had my first go at plastering last week and picked up some of the basics.

A doorway was removed and then blocked up with thermolite blocks by someone on a job with me. The existing wall was approx 130mm (TH) so the therma blocks needed packing both side. What was used was a bonding coat on both side and left to dry through the afternoon and night. The next morning a coat of multi finish was given with good results. Someone elsewhere has shot this method down. What do you guys think? I must add the guy that did this has 51 years experience in the building industry.

As long as the bonding was either wet again or ambient temperature was n't to warm its cool,and the multi did n't fry on the bonding its cool.In the OLD days that was normal. ie sand N cement is supposed to be left for 28 days

Ahh I see I call that rubbing it up or scratching it, devil float sounds awesome tho so I'm game for that!! :RpS_laugh:

Almost lost a job once. Called back a few days later to find out how they were getting on: "well, we're Christian and we're not too keen on you summoning the devil".

51 years experience ill be long gone b4 reaching that

Hi and welcome.
Its best to float and set the same day, but if its not feasible then the next day is fine if you know what you're doing.

I would have wet the bonding, let it soak in for a bit then skim.....as long as it's been devilled....

It will go off quick.

What's meant by floating? Learning curve here :RpS_thumbsup:

What's meant by floating? Learning curve here :RpS_thumbsup:

Floating is where you hover effortlessly above the customer.........Devil floating is the part where you strike them with lightening bolts from the finger tips because they havent paid :)

More of an eager learner:flapper:

I assume with the reference to 1 week you are talking about moi? If so. Who said I'd said the method was wrong?:RpS_confused:

Dont take the banter to heart buddy. They love a hungry fish on here lol!!!!!

Like a fish flapping in a net... poor lad. Floating- Or ruffing in/ bonding out ect can be used to discribe the application of various backing plasterers ready for a finishing coat.

someones got to buy the unifinish might aswell be the unknowing..........no offence OP:RpS_thumbsup:

No harm done. We all start somewhere I suppose lmao...

My trade generally stays on the drier side of things and away from all the muck :RpS_wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.