Bonding or browning over old browning?

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Topandtail

Hi, I have a bathroom to skim but I first need to float the walls flat as there are lots if hollows and bumps.
The existing plaster is browning with skim coming off in places after removing the old tiles.
I plan to remove loose finish, pva all walls, then use bonding to flatten them, then pva and skim next day.

Is it ok to use bonding or do I need to use browning?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Iv only ever re-skimmed over old lime plastered walls - only used browning once so don't know much about it.
Should I just wet the wall a couple of times with water then? Or will suction be to high?

Just spray a bit of water to seal any dust, bonding sometimes cracks if there is too much suction but don't worry about it

Probably major overkill but ended up using half a tub of bondit as I'd tried wetting the walls and the browning/thermalites just kept sucking.
I went round after work on Friday and ended up using a full bag to dub out 2 walls so knocked up another full bag to float.
First batch was pink second batch was grey? Can't remember the last time I saw grey bonding but anyway ruled it all off then went home late Friday night.
Put the ceiling, window wall and reveals (all plasterboard) on about 11 yesterday - flattened it down for the second coat and it didn't look or feel right at all.
Put second coat on, troweled flat, then brushed the angles and second trowel.
3rd trowel I flick a splash of water on like I always have and when I trowel it there's stripes all over. Same problem when I did the walls I'd floated.
I saw these stripes on site years ago but never had them in my own work and don't think I did anything different apart from using a new worn-in trowel.
Has multi finish changed in the last 6 months? I know the bags were different when I last used it but the plaster seemed the same

Sounds like tiger stripes. Do a search on here mate it's been covered loads of times.

Thanks mate, did a search and sure enough it's quite common. Read some interesting comments on the use of water :) gonna try using board finish on the next room see if its any different.
The old timer I learned from when I was 18 used board finish for everything - he had me mixing it with a broom stick, then when I'd knocked **** out of it (and 4 bags of bonding before it) he handed me a mixing paddle and said 'finish it off with that son'

Probably major overkill but ended up using half a tub of bondit as I'd tried wetting the walls and the browning/thermalites just kept sucking.
I went round after work on Friday and ended up using a full bag to dub out 2 walls so knocked up another full bag to float.
First batch was pink second batch was grey? Can't remember the last time I saw grey bonding but anyway ruled it all off then went home late Friday night.
Put the ceiling, window wall and reveals (all plasterboard) on about 11 yesterday - flattened it down for the second coat and it didn't look or feel right at all.
Put second coat on, troweled flat, then brushed the angles and second trowel.
3rd trowel I flick a splash of water on like I always have and when I trowel it there's stripes all over. Same problem when I did the walls I'd floated.
I saw these stripes on site years ago but never had them in my own work and don't think I did anything different apart from using a new worn-in trowel.
Has multi finish changed in the last 6 months? I know the bags were different when I last used it but the plaster seemed the same

Round here bonding is grey from builders merchants and pink from b and q. Different quarries I'm led to believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.