Boarding over an old fireplace!

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlaspire

Hello!

I've been asked to board over an existing fireplace which had the old Baxi boiler in which has now been replaced with a combi system located in the Kitchen. They have asked for it to be boarded over and then patched in with the existing plaster as to keep the mess to a minimum and speed the job up.

Question is they have been told to add a vent to it which I guessing was to keep an airflow for the old chimmely. Has anyone done this before and did you add the vent to stop any damp?

Thanks in advance!

The vent is added to stop any build up of moisture, I would not put it on the bottom of the chimney but on the top, if you tap the wall you will hear from the sound the direction of the old flue..

Hello!

I've been asked to board over an existing fireplace which had the old Baxi boiler in which has now been replaced with a combi system located in the Kitchen. They have asked for it to be boarded over and then patched in with the existing plaster as to keep the mess to a minimum and speed the job up.

Question is they have been told to add a vent to it which I guessing was to keep an airflow for the old chimmely. Has anyone done this before and did you add the vent to stop any damp?

Thanks in advance!
Common practice mate ,if they want a vent ,give them a vent :RpS_thumbup:

The vent is added to stop any build up of moisture, I would not put it on the bottom of the chimney but on the top, if you tap the wall you will hear from the sound the direction of the old flue..
You still on heavy pain killers John :RpS_unsure:

Go easy guys,you know he's a bit of a sharp shooter.:RpS_scared:...
Especially if your carrying a bit of plasterboard!

:RpS_laugh:...............................:RpS_confused:

[/COLOR]

:RpS_laugh:...............................:RpS_confused:
Surprised that you are confused mmmm no, the flue from the chimneys normally run left side or right side of a chimney, by tapping on the brickwork with a hammer you will know where its hollow and then you can make a hole for a vent ,covering with a plaster louvre or a plastic one, its fairly common and basic knowledge, ps waiting for the other two to like your post xxxxxx

.:RpS_unsure::RpS_unsure:
what two to like who's post?????:confused: who's the three???I'm fecking lost now !
You want to cut down on the meds asif .:-0
or give me some.:RpS_biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.