boarding out a garage

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seen your pdf but the airgap your creating is directly behind board so might that cause damp? Also wouldnt it make the room slightly colder with the airgap being closer to the room? Just an observation and they obviously know what they are sayin but im wondering if the way ido it will cause any problems? Ive done it on a room in my house and ive not seen any problems and the room is quite warm without a rad.

the battens aren't in contact with a potentially damp wall, that's a good thing

Fair enough if the wall is damp but then run a strip of dpc up the back of the batton but im on about the air gap being directly behind the board are you not loosing more heat?

What about heat loss? Ive done a few loft conversions and the air gap is on the outside, i suppose you are creating a cavity but your creating it right behind the board.

well there is a brick there, rather than a tile. I don't really know mate, is it something to do with thermal mass?

Why add a breathable membrane to something that doesn't breathe you're a bit strange aren't you

I did some internal insulation on an external wall last year, and they specified a breathable membrane. The company who made the recycled wool/carpet solid insulation specified it too.

I don't claim to be an expert on this, but if you don't understand the basics of cold bridging, dew points and condensation there's not much hope for you spunky

Could dab up thermaline board and screw fix or if damp S/C scratch coat then dab up good insulation to for single skin brick.

What about heat loss? Ive done a few loft conversions and the air gap is on the outside, i suppose you are creating a cavity but your creating it right behind the board.

The place I'm working on at the moment has vaulted ceilings and the spec on them is that the Celotex be fitted tight to the breathable roof membrane with the air gap between the Celotex and the back of the foil backed board. This is contrary to jobs I've done in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.